Monday, March 14, 2005

Wireless Network Under Construction

(Anyone Got A Big Hammer?)

Blogging may be light this week because I'm installing a Linksys wireless network with VOIP (voice over Internet protocol) capability. I'm excited and exasperated all in the same moment.

I'm up to my ears in anacronyms like DHCP, IP addresses, PPPoE, MAC, and some other things I've never been involved with before other than on a superficial basis.

We've dropped our dial up access a little prematurely and I'm under the gun to get this stuff working while Pat is out of town. Her Dell has a Ethernet port, but my older Dell just has a RJ11 jack and I refuse to pay $39 for an Ethernet card when I can get the 802.11g wireless card for the same price.

Poor planning on my part, but at least I'm forced to put in the wireless network that I've been talking about for a year. The good news is that prices have come down drastically and VOIP is readily available and reasonably priced.

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

vw bug said...

Good luck and let me know if I can help.