Saturday, November 25, 2006

I'm Angry

Why Bother To Work When Being A Bum Is So Easy???


A long time ago, in another life, I sold a big project on the Hilo Coast on the big island of Hawaii.

Nearly a half million dollars worth of stainless steel and other materials including fabrication costs. In the beginning I was the only one in the building that was interested in pursuing the business, but everyone was delighted when the purchase order came in the door.

Problem was, my last name didn't match the name on the front of the building.

Everybody in the upper levels of the company jumped on airplanes to do "vendor sourcing trips" and other made up reasons for their travel, and when it was time for the actual work to be done all of the travel budget had already been spent on beachside hotels and snorkeling trips, so I never made it over across the Pacific to America's 50th state.

I thought it was a bit funny when the job turned into a disaster because of our 5000 mile absence and at best they ended up breaking even on the endeavor--but at least the President and Vice President of the company got nice sunburns in the process.

A few years later, again in the late 1980's, I chased down a job in the little hamlet of Moss Landing, California, on the coast just south of San Francisco and the northern wine country.

Again, my only visit consisted of a mandated OVERNIGHT visit accompanied with my boss to close the deal with a hurried return to Atlanta, then a series of "follow ups" by other executives that were, to quote an old adage "useless as tits on a boar hog." Again, profits suffered with job site problems addressed by Fax and long distance, but hey...who am I to complain...twern't my company...

This week there's a bunch of work going on up in Canada that I sold and originally expected to travel to attend--cold weather aside. Instead, my so called business partner's girlfriend is flying around in first class airliner seating and staying in bed and breakfast Inns and Hotel suites, and yet all I get to hear about is how cold it is up there, endless bitching about the bank currency exchange rates (something he should have understood before HE set the pricing), the fact that all of the Seminar attendees didn't bring personal or company checks with them to the sessions (like average Joes run around with an extra $600 in their bank accounts), and how I'm costing him money (my commission) sitting here on St. Simons doing nothing all day on Thanksgiving (Canadians celebrate their Thanksgiving holiday in October.)

Well EXcuuuuuuuuuusssssssseeeee Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I quit, in writing, tonight, and told him to keep the change to cover his perceived losses.

Please let me ask you...Why do I torture myself dealing with most other humans?

You know who you are, and your just rewards are coming in eternity....

.

No comments: