Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Think That I'm Somewhere In Hawaii

But I Thought It Was South Alabama...


Well, we made it over to Ozark early yesterday morning with Missy the Turbo Pup in tow, and then we started realizing the obvious lessons that traveling with an animal teaches it's new pupils.

Lesson #1: Until you can check into your "pet friendly" hotel room, you will stay in your car with your AC running to avoid the ambient 90+ degree heat and a possible visit from the lunatics people at PETA or the ASPCA.

Lesson #2: You will also EAT breakfast in your car (see lesson #1).

Lesson #3: You cannot sneak in Wal Mart through the garden section with the aforementioned Turbo Pup because Wal Mart is NOT "Pet Friendly."

Thankfully I was able to sweet talk our front desk clerk at our "pet friendly" hotel into expediting the cleaning of our assigned room while we lounged at the "pet friendly" hotel's swimming pool for a little over an hour, and everyone (Pat, myself, and Missy the Turbo Pup) was basking the in air conditioned comfort of our room by 12:15 PM.

By the time we arrived at the hotel I had already received two shipments from Hawaii. The girls at the front desk were impressed.

The first package from Hawaiian Lei Company was clearly marked "flowers" and had instructions for special handling, and inside was one of these, an Orchid & Carnation "Double" Lei:






The second Lei was something called a "Kukui Nut & Mock Orange" Lei that looks like this:







(That one I bought for me to wear tonight)

Needless to say that Pat was surprised and impressed, even though they let the cat out of the bag a little early and I wasn't going to tell her until time to get dressed tonight.

Finally, in my attempt to adhere to dressing in Hawaiian attire for or upcoming celebration, the second package was from the Mele Ukulele Store and it contained one of these:





That's a little student model Soprano Ukulele--something I've thought about acquiring for several years now. It will go well with my ever growing collection of musical instruments.

So any way, with my new Hawaiian shirt on my torso, my straw hat on my head, my Kukui Nut Lei around my neck, and my shorts and flip flops adorning the lower half of my suntanned body, Pat and I hope to be be the best dressed couple at tonight's festivities.

In the mean time, I'll be skipping the golf tournament to spend yet another day lounging by the pool and tending to Missy the Turbo Pup's latest whims.

Wish me luck

Aloha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful leis and it's nice to see that companies are using kukui nuts more. While I was growing up, in the Islands, kukui nuts were not used very often. Have fun tonight.

Howlin' Hobbit said...

Heya Virgil!

The uke might indeed go well with your growing instrument collection but you might find that the little guy just steals your heart away.

I did.

HH