Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Feverish Procrastination

Putting Off The Inevitable...


Well, the bad news is that I didn't go to the jobsite yesterday.

Believe me when I say that it wasn't for lack of desire or effort. It was just clear at the last minute Sunday night that due to a lack of adequate planning on my part that there really wasn't much to do that couldn't be done on Tuesday because:

A. I had no idea where I was getting my concrete and...

B. I had no clue when I could get it delivered.

So by executive indecision, I stayed home to work around the house and order materials in anticipation of the week's work. It still ended up being a productive day regardless of the slow start.

In addition to getting a refinishing stain coat on an old crappy antique table we use in our entry foyer, I also got started staining one of my new home made nightstand tables, and a bunch of pictures got hung up on the guest bedroom walls using the laser level.

Also, as a result of having handed out my Visa Card number to Lowes on the telephone late yesterday, now I absolutely must leave our little island, drive across the causeway, and raise a dust storm for four or five hours this morning because sometime on Wednesday morning I have a ton of Quikrete, sixteen sheets of exterior siding board, some OSB, and eight interior doors arriving on a delivery truck.

Then there is the rented portable cement mixer...did I mention that I need one of those?

Well I do, and I have to admit that I'm a little afraid of the process.

The plan is to add a two inch thickness of concrete to a 6' x 12' area of an existing front porch slab so that I can extend the new dining room walls into the newly prepared area. In the process I've had to learn about concrete bonding agents (already purchased) and pray that running a cement mixer isn't that different from mixing cement in a wheelbarrow with a hoe.

Wish me luck, if you will ...

No comments: