Sunday, May 09, 2010

Live From The Edge Of The Oil Spill...

Everybody On The Gulf Coast Says "Hey"...


Well, we managed to make the epic trip from Eastern Tennessee all the way down to Ft. Walton Beach yesterday in less than ten hours, including a brief stop at the farm to pick up Mom in the process.

We're visiting our near 90 year old "Uncle John" and his family at lunch today for a while before turning around and heading back to lower Alabama for the balance of the week.

Then I have to put on my "yard shoes" and get busy.

If anyone thinks owning and/or being responsible for a HOUSE is a lot of work...try owning part of a seven acre lake and a giant piece of property surrounding said body of water...near 70 acres...

There is something dead or dieing or blooming or falling or giving birth or breaking or needing raking or mowing or chopping or clipping or WHATEVER...all the time every day 365 days each year.

Most of the time all I can do working from long distance is cheer my mother and cousins on in the process and help keep the big things from falling down or over in the three plus weeks of time I get to spend there on average each year.

I can basically work all day every day I visit and there's still a list of things which have to be put off until "next time."

This trip the task du jour is several hundred feet of wooden walkway/dock on the lake, some of which needs new pressure treated lumber after 23 years of service. I brought my big pneumatic framing nailer which will simplify installing the new boards, but I dread prying and beating the old lumber up off the framing and pulling all of the old rusty 16 D nails out of everything.

So now it's time to do a little Internet reading to catch up on what's going on in the world, grab some breakfast, and maybe wander over to the beach for a few minutes.

Y'all have a LOVELY Mother's Day Sunday...if you will...

No comments: