Sunday, March 27, 2005

Everyone Talks About The Weather

(But No One Ever Does Anything About It)

I'm sorry that the posting has been slow recently, but Pat and I have been visiting my Mom in South Alabama for Easter. We did the seven hour drive from the Georgia coast through the "pecan region" of South Georga and into the "Wiregrass" region of Alabama on Friday--in wonderful 77 degree sunny weather.

According to the forcast, we were planning on enjoying beautiful weather with only a slight chance of rain on Sunday. Monday is suposed to be clear.

Besides being limited by a slow dial-up internet connection, we've spent Saturday afternoon and all of last night listening to the NOAA Weather Radio warning us of severe thunderstorms so we couldn't even "dial-up" most of the time for fear of lightening damaging the computer. To make matters worse, the approaching thunderstorms coming in from the southwest blocked the signal on the Direct TV Satellite system so we couldn't even look at The Weather Channel to see what was threatening us.

About 1:00 PM Saturday it started thundering and caused me to stop work cleaning and repairing gutters on my Mother's house. At 1:30 PM the thunderstorm arrived with high wind and a three or four minute hailstorm featuring golfball size hail. My mother's car and truck were in the garage and Pat's Mustang was safely tucked in the carport on the shop building, but my sister's Expedition and my Uncle's minivan were sitting in the driveway uncovered. Both vehcles sustaned damage to the hoods and roofs. My mother's clean beautiful yards were filled with debris beat off of the trees by the hail stones. The Azaleas that were partially in bloom had most of the open blooms knocked off. Immediately after the storm the air smelled like a Christmas tree farm as a result of the pine needles broken off the pinetrees.

It rained on and off all last night and we awoke at 5:00 AM to another severe thunderstorm warning. So much for attending Easter Sunrise Services in town. I talked my family out of going since water was standing 3" deep across the driveway an the girls' dress shoes would have been full by the time they got into the church.

I cooked bacon, eggs, cheese grits, and homemade biscuits for the crowd and had everyone fed by seven AM.

It's starting to thunder again now so I have to log off.

As my title said, everyone talks about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it.

No comments: