Sunday, April 17, 2005

A New Direction

Since I started writing my blog in mid-August last year, I have rarely chosen to risk boring my national and international readers (yes, I know that you are out there hiding in Europe, Asia, and other points unknown), beyond my normal level of every-day boredom, with stories about local news from here in our tiny little part of this planet called Glynn County Georgia.

You should not assume, however, that I do not have an active life on St. Simons Island reading the local news, flapping my gums and pounding the keyboard about some incredibly stupid and petty local issues that until recently seemed unworthy of commenting about in my blogs.

The local newspaper, The Brunswick News, just published my sixth editorial last week in their letters to the editor section. I’m proud to say that they’ve only rejected two of my writings so far.

There are most definitely some serious issues which are, in my opinion, inadequately addressed. Our local media consists of one major print newspaper, a couple of second tier print rags full of coupons and ads, and a couple of radio stations. Oh, and did I mention that our local TV broadcasts come from Jacksonville, Florida and Savannah, Georgia—each city at least an hour away by automobile? I guess that you get my point.

My commentary about local issues online is about to change with the introduction of a new, yet to be named, local issues blog, but rest assured that this blog, “What I’d Liked To Have Said,” is going to continue forward as a national political/current events forum until the last reader drops off of the internet.

Thank you so much for your support thus far.

The reason that I’m starting the local blog is that I see a “niche” market for news analysis and commentary that is not being fulfilled in the current publications. The Brunswick News tends to be centrist-to-conservative in editorial content, but their coverage of the details of the local politics seems to be a bit on the side of “milk toast” while being guilty of publicly smirking at the details of the stories that they print.

I think that they like to print some of my rants every now and then because I can make a lucid argument for moving our local government and school board forward a few steps while the elected officials are all tumbling down the hill head over heels backwards. I believe that they secretly agree with most of what I say, they just don’t have the guts to say what I say in writing so they let me do it.

The “freebie” alternative papers are another story entirely. They typically have the standard liberal/rabid-barking-moon-bat conspiracy slants with little factual content to back up their arguments. Lots of blaa, blaa, blaaaaa, blaa, blaaa, blaa, blaa.

Can you say preaching to the ill informed, liberal masses? B-o-r-i-n-g…

So stay tuned and you might see some interesting stuff, originally reported, as I attend city council and school board meetings, and aim my pencil and “big stick” at the insanity around my home here on the Georgia Coast.

You'll be the first to find out about my new efforts and I hope that you will enjoy following my new adventures in blogging.

Regards Y’all

No comments: