Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Popeye Turns 77

I Found This All By Myself...I'm Getting Good With Trivia...






I was screwing around after writing that last posting about being “Confused”, and in the process I started looking for a better image of the character “Bluto” featured in the old King Features cartoon “Popeye.”

What I found out in the process is that my old friend and childhood idol, “Popeye the Sailor Man” celebrates his 77th birthday today.

Talk about a coincidence...

Here’s a little history:

He's short, balding, ornery and downright ugly by anyone's standards. But countless numbers of fans have grown up admiring and identifying with this unpretentious hero since his introduction to the public in 1929. Celebrating his 75th Anniversary in 2004, "Popeye" remains one of the most widely recognized and best-loved personalities ever.

Popeye is an underdog with a long fuse and a keen sense of fair play. Everyone identifies with him when he finally says, "Tha's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" And it seems only fitting that our most unlikely hero would fall for the least likely of sex symbols: Olive Oyl. Flat as a board, with a pickle-shaped nose and fickle heart to match, Popeye's "goil" puts him through his paces. Her only real competition is spinach.

Popeye made his first public appearance Jan. 17, 1929, in Elzie Segar's then 10-year-old comic strip, "Thimble Theatre," which originally revolved around Olive Oyl's family. Although he was introduced as a minor walk-on character, Popeye quickly "muskled" his way into the limelight and eclipsed the older characters to become the star of "Thimble Theatre."

With Popeye came a host of new, off-beat funny folks such as Swee'Pea, the "infink" Popeye adopted; J. Wellington Wimpy, the world's most hamburger-obsessed moocher; and Bluto, the hairy "heavy" with the glass jaw.


As a little munchkin in the 1960’s, Popeye was one of my favorite cartoons, before I graduated to “The Three Stooges” and the antics of Wyle E. Coyote and Bugs Bunny.

Remember when TV was dominated on Saturday morning with cartoons rather than stupid infomercials, "talking head" political shows, and the other crap that we're bombarded with today ?

Thank God for the Discover Channel, Food Network, The History Channel, and FOX News...else I'd lose my mind daily.

I really have a problem with most of the wierd, politicly correct shit that they are broadcasting to kids today. Alternative lifestyles are fine--but class, race, and gender stereotypes are out.

Tinky winky and Sponge Bob can take their purple/pink costumes and "square pants" and just wander on down to Cuba or somewhere where they can use them. Actually, Castro would probably have the whole gang of writers and producers in jail if he could get his crusty hands on them.

Anyway, I'm farrrrrr off topic here...

Like I started out to do--I'd like to offer a hearty HAPPY BIRTHDAY to POPEYE.

Hopefully Olive Oyl baked a nice cake...

No comments: