Sunday, January 22, 2006

V I C T O R Y

I'm the King of WEP Encrypted Networks

Yes, I, your lovely political/cooking blogger and self proclaimed rocket scientist, now have a functioning three computer network operating on two floors of our condo building.

Amazingly enough, we have a pretty good signal strength at the peremeter, even though the wireless router is located 75' feet away on the opposite end of the unit from two of the PC's.

I personally, always have a good signal because I refuse to work where there isn't one, even if I have to lay in the floor or stand on my head with my feet resting against the wall.

I also figured out that the problem all along was that I had outsmarted myself when I did the original router installation. For some reason they actually expect all of those things which you tell your router to actually MEAN SOMETHING when you give your answers.

Being the sly devil that I am, I forgot that I had limited the number of users on the network to three (Pat's notebook PC #2 & #3, in and out of the docking station, and my notebook PC #1.)

When I tried to install my neighbor's desktop on the network, the router apparently got confused and tangled my IP address and MAC address up in the process of assigning the new machine one of each. It then refused to recognise either machine from then on because there were too many machines looking for the internet.

The good news is that in this process I learned that my security strategy works...

DAMN I'M GOOD.

But it took me a month and one half to figure out what to do to make my security allow me to use my own network...

DAMN I'M STUPID.

Of course I can blame the misplaced software CD as a mitigating circumstance.

Next, being the machocist that I am, I'm looking forward to screwing up further expanding our little computer empire with the addition of a wireless print server to handle my big 13"x19"format HP printer and our little HP multifunction machine.

Then, if I get through that process, does anyone know of a way to shoot our wireless signal 50 yards down the street to the pool deck so I can blog poolside this summer?.

It was 79 degrees here today, and I don't want to have to make a choice between writing and my suntan...

No comments: