Monday, February 20, 2006

Another One Bites The Dust

Rising From Your Own Ashes…


The Georgia coast is widely populated with gigantic Live Oak Trees, some of them over 200 years old.




I have long lusted after the possibility of owning property here that contained one or more Live Oaks, and I do in fact have a young tree on the grounds of my Duplex and a massive adjacent tree that has branches that encroach on the roof of my building and need to be trimmed.

Trimming any branches on Live Oaks inside the City Limits of Brunswick, Georgia requires getting permission from the “Tree Commission.”

God help me…

That said, there is another old giant Live Oak that happened to get in the City of Brunswick’s way while they were doing a little sewer construction this winter, and after much public debate and discussion, this is what resulted:



As you can see, the tree was massive. I made this picture Sunday afternoon while visiting Brunswick to make some additional photos in support of my new "Church Art" efforts. The four young men striking their best "rapper style" pose were quite knowledgable of the old tree's fate and supportive of my idea to salvage the trunk and have some kind of memorial wood carving done using it as raw material.

I'll be talking to my new friend, Brunswick Mayor Bryan Thompson, later this morning about preserving the old tree's carcass and pursuing fundraising efforts to finance the art effort. I've already contacted this guy (www.treecarver.com) about the posibility of doing the work.

Now all I have to do is come up with a design.

I guess that I'm losing my mind in an art induced stupor in my old age...

No comments: