Sunday, December 12, 2004

Governing Sports

I’m still in the process of picking up my jaw off of the floor, so give me a minute here.

Ok, I think I’ve somewhat recovered.

I just got through watching the rebroadcast of The Beltway Boys this morning on Fox News Channel and one of their closing comments amounted to “Congress shouldn’t pass a law about the problems with BCS College Football Bowl matchups…but they should prod them a little….” This follows on the heels of John McCain's and other's calls for congressional action regarding steroids in baseball.

Sit down and let me tell you something. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS GETTING INVOLVED IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL BOWLS. FURTHER, THEY NEED NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THE ISSUE OF STEROID USE IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

As far as I can tell, the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution say nothing about “life, liberty, and the pursuit of a $2 beer and really good hotdog at a totally fair ballgame…”

We’re talking about amateur (in name only) and profession sports here people. You know, grown (or nearly grown) men playing children’s games. So what if some individuals make more that the gross national product of Haiti and Cuba combined for a years worth of “work.” It is still A GAME we are talking about. I say let the fans vote with their feet and their wallets when it comes to these issues.

I missed three home football games at Georgia Tech between 1979 and 1998. It took a stay in the hospital to make me miss the Georgia/Georgia Tech game in 1991. I also had season basketball tickets for five years at great financial expense. I love my Ramblin’ Wreck and my Yellow Jackets, who just happen to be ranked number three in NCAA division I basketball right now. Still, I have made the decision in the past few years to move away from Atlanta and I haven’t been to a Tech football game since 1999 or a Tech basketball game since 1998. You see, my life's priorties changed.

I have gone through the same evolution when it comes to Braves baseball, Falcons football, Hawks basketball, and The Atlanta Thrashers Hockey team. While I’d gladly drive to Atlanta from St. Simons for mid-ice tickets to a Thrasher's hockey game, I only casually watch the other Atlanta “pro” teams and, in spite of the Braves 13 year division winning streak, I haven’t been to Turner field since 1999. I make the decisions, not the government. I just can’t get that excited about pro sports (college sports is another story…)

Baseball is facing a major issue with the steroid “scandal” and the potential of Barry Bonds upsetting Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron’s record next year. Once again the computers and humans behind the BCS college football ranking have let the fans down by not allowing match-ups that satisfy everyone. Poor Auburn Fans. I say WAAAAH, get over it!

Vote with your feet and your wallet. Don’t let the government do your talking for you. As long as the dollars are flowing, the seats are full, and the TV revenues are over flowing, the owners and players and hangers-on will keep on delivering a less than quality product and you get what you deserve as a result.

It’s just a game, people…

No comments: