Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Things Could Be Getting Warmer

(but not the way you think)

If you listen to the media, in addition to hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis, we should all be preparing to die from global warming. “Global warming this” and “global warming that”—I’m sick of false experts and scientists that know nothing about meteorological issues beating me over the head with global warming.

If you want to worry about the disaster du jour, the latest thing is…

VOLCANOES!

Well, being the internet nerd that I am, I’m on the E-mail alert listing from the Volcano Live web site. You aught to go check out the work of researcher John.Seach at his site.

You might think that Kilauea in Hawaii and Mt. St. Helens in Washington State are the only potential problem volcanoes here in the US. Then you’d be WRONG, because there are actually 169 active volcanoes in the US and Mariannas territory.

The good news for me and my family is that all of the potential problem volcanoes are located far away from us in Alaska, California, Washington, Oregon, and Hawaii. I didn’t realize that there were so many in the northwest.

And finally, the reason I opened this posting by mentioning global warming is this—if the Earth is beginning an increased period of volcanic activity (it is cyclic, you know), then running around hysterically passing Kyoto Treaties and changing the law saying the kind of Freon we use in our car air conditioners is going to accomplish NOTHING. Remember how much ash and other crap that Mt. Pinatubo blasted into the sky in the Philippines back in 1991? I do, because I was trying to learn to fly an airplane and half the time the visibility was insufficent to allow a student to fly solo.

If VOC’s and aerosol gasses are responsible for global warming, we’re all in for a good dose of it as a result of NATURAL CAUSES. And then, of course, there is the possibility of atmospheric change because of sunlight being reduced by all of the ash. Then all of the nay-sayers and pseudo-scientists will start running around screaming about something else…

GLOBAL COOLING…now where’s my heavy coat…

No comments: