Monday, August 29, 2005

Can You Say Morphine?

Well folks, the long siege is over with, hopefully. They took away my Morphine drip line yesterday evening and I can actually hold my head up for more than two hours in a row without drooling on myself.

Let me tell, you--I was sick--and got sicker in a hurry. Two weeks of the calendar just basically disappeared from my life, all courtesy of something called intestinal ischemia. I had at least one and possibly three blood clots in the blood vessels between my stomach and liver and intestines and kidneys.

It was debilitating and painful, but I’m supposed to be no worse for the wear in the long run, however. I get to go back on blood thinners for the rest of my mortal life, but I prefer Coumadin to the available options.

I'd also rather be here enjoying the fine cuisine in the hospital in Dothan, Alabama, wondering about when I’ll be able to catch a flight back to the Georgia Coast, than sitting in the Super Dome in New Orleans watching the roof blow off and the surrounding streets flood.

No comments: