Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Stupid Or Sick, He’s Still Dead

Better Him Than You or Me…

I guess by now practically everyone has heard about this afternoon’s incident at the Miami International Airport involving some idiot claiming to have a bomb, a Federal Air Marshal, and a couple of well placed bullets.

The poor dead bastard’s wife claims that he was bi-polar and hadn’t taken his medication. While I have every sympathy for his wife and extended family, I also have to say that I applaud the actions of the air marshal, and I believe that every single other person on the planet should sit up and take notice because since September 11, 2001 things have changed drastically when it comes to misbehaving in public in general, and in airplanes and airports specifically.

We’ve managed to raise several generations of citizens that expect to be protected from themselves and every hazard known to man, and in the event that they do get injured or killed they expect their family to be able to sue the pants off of the perceived responsible parties and win some kind of “jackpot” monetary award as a result of their being maimed or dead at the end of the day.

I say a hearty BULLSHIT to this prospect when it comes to events like today’s confrontation.

I think that the government should investigate this incident, award a Metal of Honor to the Air Marshal if the shooting was actually justified, and then charge the dead man’s family for the cost of the bullets and the expenses incurred by the other passengers on that airplane that were delayed.

Here is the message that I want to be sent.

We all like to call it “PUBLIC” transportation, BUT IT’S NOT.

It’s PRIVATE transportation, and if I have a ticket on it at the time it’s temporarily MY transportation, along with that of the other paying passengers.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again here…IF you get on a train or a bus or an airplane that I’m on, and you start acting queer (in the old definition, not homosexual) and otherwise disruptive, you should fully expect to have 235 pounds of slightly out of shape human flesh to land squarely on your chest.

I am highly likely to beat the ever-loving shit out of your stupid ass right then and there, and later belatedly ask your mother or your wife if you need some water to take your Prozac with.

I’LL willingly risk dealing with the authorities on my own behalf once we reach our destination, and I fully believe that I will not be the only American taking a shot at your face in the process.

The moral of this sad story is that, just like being stupid or angry or just a plain idiot is no excuse, not taking your medicine does not allow you to get away with acting up on an airliner any more.

So sorry Mrs. Alpizar

No comments: