Saturday, December 10, 2005

Weekend Reading Assignments

If you are a regular reader of Blogs, you probably see some pretty interesting things--some believable, and many unbelievable

On the other hand, if you read the mainstream newspapers, you, like me, probably feel the need to keep a roll of toilet paper around to use to wipe the crap off your person when you're done consuming their partisan drivel.

I spend about four to six hours each day writing my blogs, reading other people's blogs, and studying news on the internet. When I write a blog posting, I always try to tell my readers what parts of my writing are opinion/belief and what parts are facts based on an external source. In other words, I provide a link to the internet source so that you can go and check the facts yourself.

Unfortunately, I think that some of my best work has come across too dry and detailed and many readers either don't have the time or don't want to take the time to follow the logical development of my argument(s).

The other extreme of my writing is what my friend Rusty calls "getting in touch with my inner Sam Kinnison." It usually takes the form of a mild profanity laced diatribe that spontaneously comes spewing out of my brain in response to some particularly stupid situation that has developed in the world--and possibly the inane response of the media elites to the situation.

I promise to keep on working, but I'm afraid that I still haven't been able to develop my writing skills to the level of one of the original bloggers--"pampleteer" Thomas Paine.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

Doesn't that passage, written in 1776 during the Revolutionary War, seem applicable today?

If you liked that, check out the writing of Norman Podhoretz that references Mr. Paine in the upcoming January issue of "Commentary" magazine.

It's a little long, but well worth your time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to catch the Panel on C-Span washington journal Friday and replayed Fri nite? It featured Mort Halperin and Seymar Hersh and two other flaming liberals. One from U of Missouri Journalism school and the other from the NY Times. They contradicted themselves with almost everything they said. Hersh complains about the distorted media only pushing the Adminstration agenda. He predicted this "25 or 30" years ago. Boy he was insightful, he probably foresaw G W becoming president way back then so he could sway the Media. They all swear the media isn't liberal, but of course everything they (the four) put in there is the complete and honest truth and is completely neutral (I thought the Administration controlled everyting) It was truly the kind of show that requires the toilet paper. (just an aside, Sam Kennison from St. Marys, Ga was a good friend of mine, now deceased)