Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Best Laid Plans...

Sheeeesh!


Sorry, but as my regular readers know, the blogging has been suffering the past few days due to our travel down to the Orlando area for a long weekend.

Our hosts had just moved into their new home in the past month and there was only one DSL connection working in the entire house—that being one in the kitchen , serviced by only a 6’ cable.

Laying on my back on the sofa for hours on end while reading the news and writing was out of the question since I had to share said sofa with three other adults, three teenaged girls, and two very active miniature Dachshund’s.

After a pleasant four day visit, we set out to make our return trip back here to the island, arriving in time to pick up my 16” x 20” print of the photo I made being exhibited at the Ritz Theater’s “Coastal Heritage” exhibit that opens this Friday.

I had originally scheduled to pick up the print last Friday afternoon, but Murphy’s Law took over when the Photo Shop ran out of the Matte paper stock I wanted. As a result, they were delayed printing until Monday afternoon while we were out of town, finishing in plenty of time for me to drop it by the frame shop on Wednesday morning to be mounted and matted.

I was a little nervous about making the Wednesday submission deadline, but they assured me by telephone on Monday afternoon that they had the paper and that the print would be waiting for me when we arrived back in town.

Wrong…AGAIN.

When I walked in the Photo Shop door at 4:15 PM today the owner slapped himself on the head and admitted that he had forgotten to make the print. To make matters worse, Pat called me on my cell phone and told me that I had a voice message from the Gallery asking that I deliver my entry today, not Wednesday, because the Judges couldn’t jury the competition any other time but Wednesday morning.

I was suddenly losing my mind. I had forty hours of time working with Photoshop editing five layers of images, I had known about the deadlines since early December, and now I had new shortened deadlines, no print, no mounting, no mat, and no frame.

Fortunately, the printer shoved my image ahead of everything else they were doing and had it in my hands by 5:15. I then called my angel the owner, Tina over at the frame shop, and she agreed to wait past their regular 5:30 closing time and mount and mat my print by 9:15 AM Wednesday morning.

I have to pick it up then and rush it across town to the Ritz Theater in time for it to be hung for the 10:30 Jury.

Wish me luck…

Next time I’ll start this process a MONTH early.

No comments: