Sunday, January 29, 2006

You're Gonna Miss Us When We're Gone

I heard a sound bite on TV tonight that went right past me, finally soaking in after I looked up from the computer in shock.

It said something like that the United States was graduating 60,000 engineering students each year, while China and Korea were putting out 500,000 people with technical degrees.

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM...AT LEAST IT COULD BE.

Take a look at this chart I found on the internet this morning:



Notice that nearly 40% of Korean grads are in Science and Enginerering?

Notice that nearly 1/3 of all Science and Engineering grads are WOMEN in these foreign countries?

Notice that the good ole' USA is fourth from last in the ranking, only coming in ahead of Hungary, Norway, and Poland?

Interestingly enough, China and India are omitted from this chart for some reason, but I'm sure that they would be near the top if listed.

This is a disgrace, in my considered Redneck opinion.

I know that these figures are based on percentages of graduates, not numbers of graduates, but I think that it is very telling that US college students prefer to study English and Journalism over "rocket science."

Being a professional "Rocket Scientist", and getting on up there in age and lacking motivation to solve the world's problems, I'm afraid if this trend continues, as my title says...

"You're Gonna Miss Us When We're Gone..."

No comments: