Monday, March 13, 2006

The Roar Of The Greasepaint

The Smell Of The Crowd


Sorry, but I just don't have a damn thing worth saying right now.

Some might say that is the case most of the time here on the blog.

My brain has a bad case of vapor lock this weekend and I haven't been able to shake it off in spite of my best efforts. I've got a long rant on transportation security started but I don't have the energy to do the research to finish it right now.

This morning I did manage to finally finish a nice pen and ink rendering of the old US Coast Guard station located at East Beach here on the island. I've already cranked through this drawing once and it came out pretty good, but I've refined my techniques a little, bought some new pen sizes, and pending a few final touches on the front door of the building I think that my second effort resembles a marketable product.

I'm making a photo trip later this morning to get some close up shots of that same door, along with some of another old church that had escaped my attentions last month. Since I have only entered one piece of art in the next Art Show/Competition, I hope to get them to let me toss a couple of extras in at the last minute (the exhibit allows three per artist.)

I've been looking into having my originals scanned and a limited number of copies printed for sale locally.

Good gosh it's expensive...

As far as I can tell, if you buy something that costs under $50 you're generally buying junk made in China or somewhere. I'm facing the grim realizations of the costs of framing, matting, and reproduction (not sex), and when I toss in a little profit for the starving artist (that would be me) it's easy to cross the $100 mark for what amounts to chicken scratchings on small sheets of fancy paper.

I have a hard time figuring out how to price art. Of course I can always sell the copies mounted on foam core board and matted for a lower price. I'm only worried because I want to at least recoup the up front costs--I have enough hobbies that cost money to participate in.

I want positive cash flow from this one.

No comments: