Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Roberts Speaks

And I think That More Than A Few Senator's Were listening…

Just like a train wreck or an auto accident, I couldn't keep my eyes off of CSPAN (or is it CSPAM) and the broadcast of the circus they call the Senate Judiciary Committees’ confirmation hearing for John Roberts.

What I didn’t expect, after enduring ten minutes each of mindless “blaa blaa blaa” bitching from the Democrats who couldn’t bring themselves to actually say the words “Roe versus Wade” and the sloppy French kissing cheerleading of the Republican pundits, was Robert’s powerful opening statement, delivered without notes i.e. ENTIRELY FROM MEMORY.

In case you missed it, here are some highlights:

My personal appreciation that I owe a great debt to others reinforces my view that a certain humility should characterize the judicial role. Judges and justices are servants of the law, not the other way around.

Judges are like umpires. Umpires don't make the rules; they apply them. The role of an umpire and a judge is critical. They make sure everybody plays by the rules. But it is a limited role. Nobody ever went to a ballgame to see the umpire…

Mr. Chairman, when I worked in the Department of Justice in the office of the solicitor general, it was my job to argue cases for the United States before the Supreme Court. I always found it very moving to stand before the justices and say, "I speak for my country."

But it was after I left the department and began arguing cases against the United States that I fully appreciated the importance of the Supreme Court and our constitutional system. Here was the United States, the most powerful entity in the world, aligned against my client. And yet all I had to do was convince the court that I was right on the law and the government was wrong and all of that power and might would recede in deference to the rule of law…

Mr. Chairman, I come before the committee with no agenda. I have no platform. Judges are not politicians who can promise to do certain things in exchange for votes.

I have no agenda but I do have a commitment. If I am confirmed, I will confront every case with an open mind. I will fully and fairly analyze the legal arguments that are presented. I will be open to the considered views of my colleagues on the bench. And I will decide every case based on the record, according to the rule of law, without fear or favor, to the best of my ability.

And I'll remember that it's my job to call balls and strikes and not pitch or bat.”

This guy is good, and there are a number of Senators that, if they are not careful, are going to end up looking like the complete, total, ignorant assholes that they are.

I’m going to love this--each and every juicy minute.

He's going to make their heads spin around.

No comments: