Friday, October 14, 2005

Liars Figure and Figures Lie—Part 101

Is my fly in your soup, or is your soup on my fly?

OK, you can beat me again.

My keyboard keeps going off half cocked these days.

I just spent 45 minutes posting about the NY Times’ story about marriage and birth trends in America. As I love to do, I picked apart the Times choice of wording and then jumped all over the data showing that 15% of all US births in 2003 were to non-residents.

Being an inquisitive SOB, when I got through writing I went to the US Census Bureau Website to check out the data for myself. I was not happy with what I found there.

As is usual with the NY Times, they apparently didn’t bother to notice that the 2003 survey was a “Test Survey” that only included a partial sampling of the counties in the ENTIRE COUNTRY.

Look at this map and tell me how you can deduce anything meaningful from their sampling:


Where's the Red States? Posted by Picasa

Did they look at your neighborhood?
(I’m taking a deep breath now….)

I’m not a professional statistician, but in my humble “Rocket Scientist” opinion this new survey is ALARMING based on the TRENDS it presents, but basically the details are meaningless.

I wonder how much this "Survey" cost each of us?

Why do our government and media insist on bombarding us with such crap?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not a statistician either but isn't that the way they compile TV ratings too. Very hit-and-miss. Why do they then base so much credo on the viewing figures. Multi-million dollar advertising contracts are based on a random selection of TV viewers. Hmmm

Nice Blog sir

Richthofen said...

Yup, they looked in my neighborhood (Sebastian County, Arkansas is highlighted in blue). I find this offensive in a way, for Sebastian County votes solidly in the red.

Ditto on the Nice Blog sir stuff.