Monday, October 10, 2005

Thousands of Words...

But Only A Few Really Good Ideas...

In case you haven't noticed, lots of things are going on in the world right now that I haven't commented on.

Imagine that?

Being a rocket scientist rather than a legal scholar I've thus far avoided entering the fray over President Bush's latest US Supreme Court nominee. I'm nervous about her conservative credentials, but I think that you'll agree that we have to let the process play itself out and then allow the chips fall where they may at the polls in 2006.

I sure hope that Bush isn't back in the booze again...

I'm really scratching my head over the lack of media outcry over the estimated 40,000 assumed deaths in the recent middle east earthquake.

The numbers keep climbing by the hour, but to the best of my knowledge Greta Van Sustren and Geraldo are still cooling their heels in NYC or LA.

I think that the Pakistanis will agree that a SLOW response is better than NO response, which is what many of the poor peasants will be getting in the middle of the desert over there. I think that it would be funny if someone should load up New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagan, Jane Fonda, and Barbara Streisand in a C-130 and fly their loud mouths straight to Islamabad. They could even reserve a seat for Teresa Heinz Kerry, who is probably out spending some of her billions trying to corner the market on Kashmir sweaters in anticipation of the upcoming shortage.

Did you hear about the FBI having a hard time recruiting people that can meet their current drug use guidelines? Now they are trying to relax their rules so that people that haven't smoked a blunt in the past 3 years can qualify, but only if they did it less than fifteen times.

What I want to know is: "what are they smoking down at FBI headquarters?" How about letting people like former President Clinton become secret agents if they promise that they didn't inhale? I think that I'd rather hire a casual smoker over a closet alcoholic any day. If fact, I think that if you were so up tight that you admitted that you didn't take a puff or two of weed in college I wouldn't hire you to wash my car.

Once again the Atlanta Braves ended a great season by falling out of the playoffs in the very first round. I shed exactly "zero" tears over any Braves loss these days. I lived and died with their misery all through the 1970's and 1980's, bought world series for the 1982 world series that never was, and have not set foot in Turner field more than two times since they opened it--mainly in protest over the last baseball strike.

What the die-hard Braves critics need to remember is that winning the regular season is all that the Braves owe their fans. Post season games are not attended by the kids and parents that drive from Macon, Georgia in the middle of the week to watch a Braves home game several times each season. The seats during the playoffs are filled with VIP's from Coka Cola and Delta Airlines that refused to break a sweat to attend a Saturday day game in July because it would mess up their hair and they might get armpit stains on their Polo shirt. I just hope the Braves keep on winning those regular season games and rewarding the fans that pay their bills day in and day out.

Closer to home, the good news is that we made it through 24 hours here on the island without a drop of rain falling. I spent the afternoon letting my tennis shoes dry out for the first time in over a week.

On the blog front, I printed out all of my text from over at my cooking blog, The Redneck Gourmet, and to my surprise I found that I had done over 150 pages of writing since last November.

Time flys when you only have to write a few words at a time, I guess.

I've started editing it a little and shopping around for a literary agent to see if there is any interest in publishing a book next year using "The Redneck Gourmet" title.

Who knows?

...I might end up being a writer after all.

No comments: