Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Frisbee, Anyone?

Run a Deep Post Pattern...


I love tossing a Frisbee.

There was a time, back in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, when I couldn’t imagine not having a couple of dozen Frisbees around me.

I used to have a Frisbee in my hand practically 24 hours each day.

Frisbees are amazing appliances and tools, and used properly, you might be able to use a Frisbee to save your life one day.


I think that Harold “Odd Job” Sakata’s
famous flying steel brimmed bowler hat
in the James Bond film Goldfinger was
somehow inspired by a Frisbee.







I love it because you can eat off of a Frisbee.

At least I have, many times.

All you have to do is to wash your Frisbee off, turn it upside down, and use it like a paper plate.

Veal ...anyone?

You can also entertain a dog with your Frisbee--just watch Animal Planet to see so for yourself.

Heck, you can even pick up girls with your Frisbee abilities (as to whether they are actually worthwhile women is still an open question, I might add.)

My friends Rusty, Andy, Tom, Dave, and I could throw a Frisbee up and down the hallway in our college dorm at 2:00 AM and not bother anybody, because we were so accurate with our throws and catches that no one knew we were out there in the hall.

The key to such late night adventures was tossing the Frisbee accurately and catching it every time—with one hand if possible…sorta like my idea of perfect GUN control—“hitting the intended target every damn time.”

My Frisbee friends and I would go out at night and play “Disk Golf” on an impromptu course on the Georgia Tech campus. We each actually carried a couple of Frisbees with us—a “putter”, a “driver,” and a mid-range or back up disk (just in case we landed one on the roof or something.) Little did we know how that sport would spread around the world like it has today.

We also started a dorm based Ultimate Frisbee Team and competed against a team called the ”Spliffs” on an intramural basis, again in a day when the sport (Ultimate Frisbee) was in it’s infancy. I’m not really sure who was better at tossing the Frisbee and who was better at rolling a joint, but we lost to the Spliffs every single time we played against them, and in the end nobody seemed to care about the loss.

Now I hate to admit it, but when my house burned down in 2001 I lost my entire Frisbee collection, and because of my wobbly health since that day I haven’t bothered to buy a single replacement Frisbee.

I’m totally Frisbee-less, and I really hadn’t thought about it until this morning when I started writing this posting.

Back in “the day” I would have at least one 165 gram, probably a standard 150 gram, maybe a 200 gram HDX, and a pile of crappy banged up back-up Frisbees of different sizes and shapes that I had either used and abused myself or found laying around in the world.

Usually, if I had less than a half dozen Frisbees laying around, you'd find me running by the bank to withdraw some money on my way to the store to buy a new one.

A Frisbee, that is...

I’ll be right back.

1 comment:

El Capitan said...

A frisbee is a miracle tool for canoeing trips. You can use it to bail the boat, to fan your fire, to eat off of, to pan for gold, to smoosh down into the sand to have a flat spot to set your beer, it does it all!