Sunday, July 10, 2005

Does Somebody Actually Care?

I can’t help but be "extremely" disinterested in stories like this one:

Skateboarder Clears Great Wall of China

“Los Angeles--Daredevil skateboarder Danny Way rolled down a massive ramp at nearly 50 mph and jumped across the Great Wall of China on Saturday, becoming the first person to clear the wall without motorized aid, an event sponsor said…

"I was aware of the dangers and my heart was pumping in my chest the whole time, but I managed to pull it off with the help of my team, and I'm honored to have my visions embraced by the people of China," Way said in a statement.

A crowd of several thousand people, including China's ministers of extreme sports and culture, gathered at the Ju Yong Guan Gate about a 40-minute drive from Beijing, Quiksilver's greater China marketing director Ryan Hollis said.”

So let me get me get this straight, the “People’s Republic of China” has become so hip as to actually designate someone to be the “Minister of Extreme Sports and Culture?”

Are the sidewalks and parks in China infested with gangly crowds of pimply faced teens wearing baggy shorts, each sporting a skateboard in one hand and a cell phone in the other?

Are teams of young Chinese men doing “extreme”tricks with rickshaws or bicycles with sidecars?

Is the "Minister of Extreme Sports and Culture" sanctioning events in China featuring same?

I think that most skateboarders (and many snowboarders for that matter) are like fleas on a dog, infesting our planet and wrecking havoc on public places, damaging handrails, stair treads, and monuments with their idiotic “extreme sports” antics.

Most of these kids need to put down their skateboards, turn off their PlayStations, and start studying their school books and doing their homework because the odds of actually making any money as a professional skateboarder are even less than that of playing in the NBA, NFL, or in major league baseball.

I guess I’m just getting to be an old Fogie...

No comments: