Sunday, July 10, 2005

From One Extreme, To The Other…

Continuing my “Devil May Care” attitude, I spent an hour at the pool this afternoon under the clouds, ignoring the weather on TV, instead choosing to sit outside and watch the 25 to 35 MPH wind gusts pushing the plastic pool furniture around the pool deck and making the big American Flag flap furiously on the adjacent flagpole.

About 3:30 PM I was driven inside by a burst of rainfall—they’ve been predicting buckets of rain here for two days and none was had, but finally a little water arrived, courtesy of Hurricane Dennis.

When I got back home I found that the storm was just coming on shore slightly east of Pensacola, Florida. I feel sorry for the poor bastards that own houses out there near Navarre Beach and anywhere else on Santa Rosa “Island,” because “Santa Rosa Island” should be called “Santa Rosa Sandbar.”

If you’ve ever been there, you know what I mean.

There will be whole houses tipped over on their sides in the bay and the local Holiday Inn will probably be out of business for two years again like it was after Hurricane Opal in 1995. God help all of the fools that have bought in on the new ten story condos they were building up and down the formerly pristine beaches in that area.

I believe that I’ll take time out to watch today’s NASCAR race on TV from Chicago and try to take my mind off of this natural disaster for a while.

At the risk of exhibiting extreme vanity, go check out this posting, the second one I wrote last fall when I started the blog…its called NASCAR Hype.

And keep your fingers and toes crossed for my Mom’s good fortune…

No comments: