Sunday, July 10, 2005

Well, I’m afraid that it’s happening again.

I took a couple hour nap early last evening, and then stayed up much of the rest of the night to follow Hurricane Dennis’ progress. I even took a half hour swim in the pool about 1 AM.

When I went to bed after the 4 AM National Weather Service forecast of the storm track it looked like Mobile was going to be ground zero for the assault. Things looked pretty good for my Mom’s chances of avoiding significant wind damage.

Now I’m awake again and I’ve gotten back on the Internet and learned that the storm has stopped its westward progression, taking a turn directly north toward the Destin/Santa Rosa Island area. That’s bad news—and the Weather Channel TV broadcast just finally admitted same.

Here is what bothers me. If you happen to be unfortunate enought to reside on the eastern side of the eye of a landfalling Hurricane, within the inner 50 to 75 miles of the roar and confusion, you get to enjoy the brunt of the party--whether you want to or not.

Mom may just end up in that situation.

Being the amateur meteorologist that I am, I’ve checked my own resources and here is what I know so far. NOAA Buoy 42039 located about 115 nautical miles SSE of Pensacola reports wave heights of 32.8 feet and wind gusts of 58.3 KTS. Further, they are reporting the top wind speeds running about 145 MPH.

The only good news is that Mom hasn’t had much rain so far, so at least when the winds get there the trees won’t just tip over and pull out of the ground like they did during Hurricane Opal.

Technology is a wonderful thing, but sometimes ignorance is bliss…

No comments: