Friday, December 30, 2005

2006

Decisions...Decisions...

Just in case you haven’t noticed, I’ve had a little trouble coming up with anything to say the past couple of days.

That’s OK, however, because when you write for free. and you own the newspaper, you can produce as many or as few words as you want at any given time without fear of repercussions.

With the beginning of the year 2006, I find myself facing several opportunities (and a few realities) that I haven’t addressed at any time in my past.

My health has gone from an atrocity to a miracle in a matter of months, but I really don’t know that I can rely on continuing at my present physical pace for any length of time.

I’ll certainly enjoy my strength while I have it, however.

In the theater department, I’m starting construction on the set for a dinner theater production of “You’re a Good Man, Charley Brown” next week, having spent some of my time this week discussing the casts’ requirements and doing the drawings and bill of material for the project.

I’m also reading a script and attempting to develop a character I want to do in a play called “A Bad Year For Tomatoes” at the CAPE Theater over in Brunswick this winter.

My characterization is loosely based on a cross between Billy Bob Thornton’s “Slingblade” character and Ernest T Bass on the TV show Andy Griffith, with a little of Mr. Haney from Green Acres thrown in for good measure.

I haven’t tried acting in two years, but this part is definitely ME and I really want to give it a good go if they will let me.

In the writing department, I am resolute to get off my ass and continue to develop my cookbook and my Sci-fi novel projects. The cookbook is past the 50% point, but the novel is still in the outline stage with only a piece of the first chapter and the concept development completed. No one has published a book using my idea yet, so I really want to produce a thick stack of paper in 2006 that a publisher can use to slap me on top of the head with, if nothing else comes of it.

Regarding my Blogging, I am going to use 2006 to get serious in my news analysis and reporting with the rollout of regular stories in my local blog called the Brunswick Blues. Having established a relationship with the mayor–elect on a first name basis and corresponding with my county commissioners, I think that Glynn County is ready for a serious blogger to start pushing around the facts and details that The Brunswick News and even The Islander can’t seem to follow.

ORGANIZATION and MOTIVATION…that’s what I need.

I can see the goal posts, I just have to figure out how to get the ball across the line…

No comments: