Thursday, December 29, 2005

I'm Not Stupid

Are You?


I stopped my subscription to the local newspaper last year by accident, but I haven't managed to find a good enough reason to go to the trouble to restart it since.

Instead I rely on reading the free online edition of The Brunswick News and I buy an occasional "dead tree" copy when the notion strikes me.

Likewise with the Atlanta Journal and Constitution (locals lovingly call it the “Urinal and Constipation.”) Pat hates it when I buy a copy because I usually spend the next three days sweating, shivering, and screaming about things written on the editorial page and about local news stories showing the stupidity of the Atlanta area politicians.

What I want to know is this: “is there some kind of competition among stupid people for positions as elementary school teachers and "lamestream" media jobs like TV correspondents and newspaper reporters?”

This isn’t just a rhetorical question—I WANT AN ANSWER.

Don’t you see what I mean here?

It seems like our culture and society has an invisible line running through the middle of it that divides our citizens into two classes. TOTAL DUMBASS IDIOTS and ROCKET SCIENTISTS.

There is little ground to occupy in between, and almost ALL of the people that elect to choose jobs in media and MOST of those of those in education fall in the former class due to pay issues or gravity or Newtonian physics or possibly some other as yet to be determined mystical reason.

As the latest example of MEDIA STUPIDITY, I submit to you this false story published in Tuesday’s LA Times:

GREEN RIVER, Wyo. - A quote in a fake news release that was intended as an April Fool's joke ended up in a front-page story in the Los Angeles Times. The story in Tuesday's editions of the Times noted how successful the reintroduction of wolves had been 10 years ago, but said the predators remained controversial.

"In Wyoming, for example, Gov. Dave Freudenthal last April decreed that the Endangered Species Act is no longer in force and that the state 'now considers the wolf as a federal dog,' unworthy of protection," the story read.

The Times printed a retraction and correction in their Wednesday edition.

It is UNBELIEVEABLE that the LA Times could allow something like this to make it to their front page, but they did.

As I said before, they’re either stupid, or they are incompetent IDIOTS.

Next time that you’re sitting around watching TV or reading the newspaper, would you please remember that this kind of crap can happen—and that it does with apparently much greater frequency that most people realize?

Now where did I put my really big hammer...

No comments: