Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I Made It

Who Knew?


I’ve been an amateur photographer for nearly 40 years now.

Until the past few years there has been a heavy emphasis on the word “amateur,” since the subjects of my photos were mainly of family events, travel scenery, and hobbies.

Back in 2001 when I moved to Mexico Beach, Florida I bought my first digital camera and started shooting beach scenes and sunset photos. Boy was ever I surprised when people started asking to purchase copies of some of my work. I never managed to get organized enough to actually make any money with the exercise, but I did get a bit of encouragement that I had some talent for photo composition.

Even more recently Pat gave me a Cannon G-3 Digital camera—something that at the time was WAY above my head and technical skills, but I’ve kept working at it and last week I received some news that made me very excited.

This photo has been selected to be displayed in the “Coastal Georgia Heritage Exhibition” running February and March in a local gallery.





All of the works are supposed to be "theme" based, but I don't want to waste your time trying to explain my theme here at this time--just be assured that it is historical and that this photoshopped composite image has a lot of history represented in it.

It’s a juried, mixed media exhibit, which means that they have already reviewed the entries and selected the winner from among the thirteen artists represented. I've also heard that only about 25% of the entries are selected for exhibition in past years.

I don’t expect to win a prize, I’m just glad to have the chance to show my work to the public and have the opportunity to possibly sell a few prints.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck