Thursday, February 16, 2006

More Artistic Crap

I Guess That I'm Hooked...


For those of you that have never visited, you wouldn't know that the Georgia Coast is loaded with really old church buildings. I'm not talking bricks and mortar or prefab steel here--I mean amazing old frameworks built with lumber back when men were men and a saw was powered by brawn and sweat.

Many of the building sites and congregations date back to the late 1700's, although the asshole Yankees must have decided that we were using our churches like the Iraqi's use Mosques and burned many of the original old buildings to the ground during General Sherman's infameous "March to the Sea."

Political statements aside (the south has arisen again--and everyone wants to retire here...) I'm rushing to complete some pen and ink drawings to enter in another Juried Art Exhibit here on St. Simons on March 1st, and I've decided that my theme will be the old churches of the Golden Isles.

Of course I'm possibly guilty of taking advantage of the fact that all of the old "blue haired" ladies that are responsible for these type exhibits love religious themes, but shush...don't tell anyone...

Here is a picture of the old Episcopal Church located up in Darien, Georgia. It is an amazing old structure that was built by Boatwright carpenters in the mid 1800’s.



I did a test drawing in about two hours tonight, trying out my new pens and paper and getting the rust off of my fingers, having not used a Rapidograph pen in about 15 years.

Here is the results of my effort…



Now I've got to wipe the dust off of my landscape and tree techniques and figure out the final composition style. I'm thinking of including vegetation, but taking some artistic liberties in order to minimize the trees obscuring the forrest (and the buildings.)

No comments: