Wednesday, August 29, 2007

They Paved Paradise

And Put In An Interstate...


Well, I've gotten through about 18 hours being back in my adopted home town of Smyrna/Vinings, Georgia without incident, but it took only about thirty minutes to remember why we left here in the first place.

GOOD GOD WHAT AWFUL TRAFFIC.

That, and Interstates like I-285 that have more pavement in a two mile stretch of eight or ten lanes than currently exists on all of St. Simons Island.

The traffic is amazing, and Pat's and my own driving skills have been dulled by the slow pace on our little island to the point where we have no desire to own things like radar detectors and run around eating bagels, reading the newspaper--steering the car with our knees while driving along in a dense pack of cars and semi trucks at 80 MPH.

Everyone else here at least tries to do things like that while we lope along at 54 MPH.

Once you get out of the rat race I guess that it's hard to go back, or to even understand why you were there and put up with two plus hour daily round trip commutes in the first place.

I waste more time on the computer each day than I used to spend driving to work for almost ten years, back before I started my own company and started working from home.

The next best thing I did after that lifestyle improvement was to move our "home" from inside the rat race to our little Island, and I have to admit that I can hardly wait to get back on the road tomorrow morning heading away from this old, vaguely familiar reality...

the daily reality for about four million miserable, mis-informed souls.

Ya'll come see us now...ya hear?

No comments: