Saturday, June 27, 2009
Here's Missy the Turbo Pup swimming with a few friends...
Hanging out on her own private beach...
And finally, crashing for a nap in the shade after a hard day playing...
That's a darn fine beach dog we got there...
I'm proud to tender this photo of the exterior of my new French Door...
And here's a peek at the entire compound we call "The Redneck Riviera North"...
Besides the deck and pool as you can see there's a beach and even a board walk along the fence to keep your feet out of the sand when going to and coming from the pool.
(I know, I know, I know...most people do this kind of thing when they're 21 for their kids but I ain't had no kids so I wait till I'm almost 50 and do it for my little Missy theTurbo Pup.)
And, finally, I give you a Top Secret photo of my "Global Warming/Climate Change Monitoring Station" installed and working, but without all of the ship's mast embellishments like rigging wires and provisions for flying a flag.
The whole thing is hinged on a fence post so I can raise and lower it to work on the wiring and clean the bird dropping off my equipment. It has an anemometer, thermometer, relative humidity sensor, rain gage, and a 900 Mhz wireless transmitter that communicates with a receiver/display station in my office.
I'm considering firing up my web cam and doing my own evening Internet weather broadcast from my desk...naked.
Well...on second thought...maybe not.
Friday, June 26, 2009
I know you're supposed to say nice things about recently deceased people, but right now my eyes have rolled back in my head so far I see my tonsils and anus from the inside from the shock of having to watch the wall to wall coverage of Michael Jackson's passing.
Similar (But not just like) to when Mother Teresa's death in 1997 was overshadowed by the Saudi Sheik's drunken Driver/Body Guard killing Lady Diana in a London car crash, the public outcry is truly amazing to me because when it is all over with...
Neither one of these so-called "celebrities" really mean anything in the big picture when you think about the problems facing our country, it's citizens, and our world today.
I can't understand people and their fascination with other abnormal people that happen to have made a shit load of money singing or dancing or in the case of Miss Fawcett...just looking real pretty for a few years in their tortured public circus lives.
My heart goes out to the Jackson and Fawcett friends and family, but I wish the rest of the celebrity worshiping, bullshit eating, pop culture morons would go home and sit down and shut up and study a text book and learn something which will take them off the taxpayers back else get dressed and go to work and turn the damn TV and MP3 player off and stop waisting time.
And give me a break with the 24 hour TV coverage... a weird man and a basically silly woman died today--just like happens every day...and I pay good money for Cable TV to watch news...not BS about has been singers and fashion models.
RIP Farrah and Michael (Sorry I'm Cranky)
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
I went and bought another small load of #1 Kiln Dried Pressure Treated boards today to fill in the gaps and spots I had missed considering on the deck with my first material order.
I also finally finished the trim on the outside of the new French Door I hacked into the brick in the back wall of the dining room.
All I need to do is slap on a little paint and the door is finished.
Now in my ongoing insanity I'm talking about buying a "pet door" and grinding another hole through the wall to accommodate the four legged princess of the household.
Pat and Missy the Turbo Pup (the aforementioned princess) supervised my efforts from the pool and deck chairs as I worked my way around the perimeter installing skirting boards.
Short of some catastrophe, the deck really, really, really will be finished tomorrow.
Then maybe I can actually get in the pool myself and sit around for a while being wet without the dampness coming from my pores.
The next immediate project is to install the new wireless weather station components that Pat gave me for Christmas. The system's pretty cool but has been sitting in my office for six months gathering dust.
I've decided that I'm putting the Wind Direction/Anemometer up on a wooden spar attached to a fence post; extending 16 feet above the ground, then mounting the electronic rain gauge and the Relative Humidity sensor down lower.
There is a wireless control/indicator panel which can be mounted inside the house in my office so I can sit around and get second by second updates on which way the wind's blowing and how hard the rain is coming down without looking out the window, going outside, or dialing up the NOAA website.
When finished the structure is supposed to end up looking like the mast on a sailboat with some rigging wires and possibly a place to fly a flag.
The details are still a little fuzzy but I've started doing the drawings and photos will follow as things develop.
Time to finish some technical writing and call it an evening.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I was sorry to hear that Johnny Carson's straight man Ed McMahon passed away this morning. I suspect that most everyone in my generation enjoyed his appearances on the Tonight Show before his career fell into disarray and he had to resort to hawking insurance and "senior" benefits on late night TV.
Here's a look at him in his "heyday"...
Monday, June 22, 2009
1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...
2. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a few payments...
3. We live in a Society where Pizza gets to your house before the Police...
4. We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.
5. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
6. The Evening News is where they begin with "Good Evening" and then proceed to tell you why it isn't...
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
9. A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...
10. Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
11. You spend the first 2 years of your kids' lives teaching them to walk and talk, and the next 16 years trying to get them to sit down and shut up.
12. I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
13. 4 out of 5 people suffer from Diarrhea...does that mean that ONE enjoys it?
14. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
15. The main difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer is in the taste.
16. I didn't say that it was your fault...I said I was blaming you.
17. Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.
18. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
19. The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas...
20. The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on my list.
Go here and find another 80 one liners...
Sunday, June 21, 2009
In case you haven't noticed, I took the weekend off from writing frivolous stuff here on the blog.
That doesn't mean I wasn't writing, however, it's just that the writing was of the technical variety unsuitable for posting here on the Internet.
I also got some lumber cut and installed yesterday and grilled a killer meal out at the end of the day, and then Pat and Missy the Turbo Pup enjoyed a Brunch I prepared this morning and one of my signature soon to be internationally famous Pizzas for dinner tonight.
Construction and writing will continue this week so I don't know where the Blog will fit in unless some plane crashes or someone important does or says something incredibly stupid.
Come to think of it, if all I had to do was wait for something stupid to be uttered by a public official or celebrity or athlete I'd be writing here 24/7.
OH, and by the way...CALL YOUR DADDY IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.
I sure wish that I could...