Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Our Newspaper Is Absolutely, Positively, Full Of Shit

And once they screw up a given issue, they obviously won't give up...


For your consideration, I present today's "Letter to the Editor" headline in the Brunswick News:

"PUT THE MONEY TO BETTER USE"

Instead of paying an out-of-towner to do the oak sculpture, why not use local talent to utilize high school art students. This would mean a whole lot more to our community for generations to come, plus save $35,000 today.

Brent Nichols"

And...if that wasn't ignorant and obviously misinformed enough, one of today's other letters to the editor headline was this:

"Brunswick Money for tree carving should go to the needy"

What in the world are you people thinking?

$35,000 to carve a tree stump?

There are shelters, soup kitchens and other charities that could put that money to use for a tangible benefit in our city. Do you know how much clothes, blankets or food $35,000 could provide? How about text books in school?

At my daughters' middle school last year, five out of seven classes did not assign homework because there were not enough text books for each child to have one. But you can spend $35,000 on a tree stump sculpture? Nice one, Mr. Mayor, nice one. Reminds me of another sculpture the city thought we needed many years ago – "Figures Reclining in the Marsh" if I remember correctly. Another waste of public funding there as well.

Michael Vinson
Brunswick

You see ladies and gentlemen...here is a perfect example of the newspaper (emphasis on the "Paper"), a so-called professional staff of so-called journalists, jumping on a story with few if any facts, and then still proceeding through the process of executing their agenda .

Dammit, I'm pissed off...and I'm not letting this thing go until somebody bleeds ink, if not blood.


UPDATE:

Now that I've calmed down a little...let me add, to be honest and accurate, that the newspaper finally did try to call me late yesterday, nine days after this story first hit the presses. I didn't manage to haul my lumbering ass out of the swimming pool in time to call the asshole reporter back, however.

That would have involved effort, and right now the last thing that I'm expending is additional effort on this issue, except for possibly when I have nothing else to do except fart and belch.

What I do want to do here is try to impress on those of you out there that actually believe everything that you see and hear on the TV news and in the newspaper that most of the time what you are being fed is TOTAL SHIT, regurgitated by some moron that can't find their way to work every day without a map and an extra half hour to make the journey.

I'm telling you, ladies and gentlemen, that the Brunswick News has, for whatever reason or lack thereof, totally screwed up this project that was tendered by ME to the city with the best of intentions, and I actually don't know if I have the energy to finish it because of having to deal with the public furror that their inept reporting has generated.

After all, there is no money to spend on the tree right now.

There is no money to divert to feeding the homeless.

There is no money to use to buy textbooks.

I haven't made one thin damn dime on this project, and never expected to.

All I wanted to do is save the remains of a two hundred year old tree from the indignity of the landfill or the woodpile, and the semi-professional journalistic idiots down at the Brunswick News screwed all of that up.

I sure hope that they got their money's worth and sold a bunch of newspapers.

No...I'm lieing...I actually don't.

1 comment:

Cousin Pat said...

I'd like to mention that -this- Island City blogger on the left side of the island was raging at that nonsense, too.

We appear to have absolutely lost the idea of 'aesthetic' in Glynn County. I'd rather have a tree, but if the tree gets cut down, a sculpture from what's left of the tree - in an attempt to beautify a neighborhood - is a fine idea by me.

I guess that's why our giant skyline-dominating community-defining suspension bridge was built in a cinder-block style and still doesn't have lights.