Thursday, September 21, 2006

If The Shoe Fits…Buy Two Pair…Part TWO

Readers Comment, And I Respond


Back in June, over on my cooking blog The Redneck Gourmet, I wrote about a recipe I was developing for Moroccan chicken with Apricot Couscous & Olive Tampenade.

Here was my intro to the recipe:

I’ve always been fascinated with the Northern African country of Morocco.

Forget places like London, Paris, and Rome; if I had the time and money I’d head straight to Portugal, and then when I was through drinking all of the Port wine I could consume I would catch a commuter plane or ship and head down to Casablanca.

Then I’d hang out with all the other Bogart and Bergman fans at “Ricks” sipping Sherry & Cognac while listening to Sam’s replacement pianist “playing it again.”

Unfortunately, since Morocco is something like 97% Muslim, I think it best to keep my white Redneck butt here stateside for the time being.

Not to worry, however, because I can always cook Moroccan food here at home and pretend that I’m looking out at the Mediterranean or far side of the Atlantic. I’ve done it three times recently, and I think that I have the process down to an art now.


That said, here is a reader comment which I just got from someone that calls themselves “Karim from Morocco”:

so what if Morocco is 97% Muslim? Are you racist or anti-Muslim?

Did you know that Morocco receives every year about 2 million tourists mostly French and Spanish?

Did you that Morocco has become the 3rd favorite destination for British in 2006?

why so much racism and prejudice?

I happen to know that it is a fact that Morocco is 97% Muslim, and everything else I said about the country was positive, yet this idiot wants to bitch at me on MY BLOG because I might be concerned about bringing “my white Redneck butt” over there under the current political conditions, with the current threats of terrorism against Anglo Saxon Christian men.

Karim's Main Question: "Why so much racism and prejudice?"

THIS REDNECK's ANSWER: "Because the last time I checked, it is safer (and a good deal cheeper) to stay here at home on the Georgia coast and cook Moroccan chicken than go to Cassablanca and risk being kidnapped and beheaded on TV."

I guess that now I know how the Pope feels.

And by the way…Hey “Karim of Morocco”…I have a request...

BITE ME

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't understand your hesitation to go to Morocco! The radical muslims have done nothing to warrant this, other than offering rewards for those who kill Americans, stating that we have to convert or die, Call us infidels, blow us up in our own country.... Oh never mind! :P