Monday, July 23, 2007

I Want The Whole Kit & Kaboodle

Comcast Apparently Sucks...


OK, I've already said that we're moving, right?

In spite of risking making my head explode, I'm also traveling to Alabama on Wednesday to visit my mother, AND attend my 30th high school reunion next weekend, and that means that nothing can be done toward packing and getting ready to move until we return to our little island on the 29th--TWO or THREE days before the movers back a truck up to our front door.

Since we were paying to live here, I made Pat wait until yesterday to start tearing the place up and putting things into boxes. We had our final dinner party Thursday night and entertained out of town guests until noon Saturday and the place looked great if I do say so myself--even though we only finished decorating and furnishing it over the past three months or so.

Any way, yesterday morning I decided to tell my utility companies about our decision, and first on my list was our cable and Internet provider, Comcast.

I logged on to their website and rummaged around to find the section of customer non-service relating to moving service addresses and was merrily typing in our new address information (Alabama Street...ironically) and when I got the to part where I was supposed to tell them when to connect the new service and disconnect the old service, I ended up sitting in stunned silence for a while.

You see, Comcast, in their infinite wisdom, requires that you provide them a five day window between the date of disconnection of your old service and the connection of your new service.

Five Days?

FIVE DAYS?

FIVE DAYS?

I screwed around for another ten minutes or so, then just logged off and abandoned my order request in disgust.

Does Comcast seriously believe that people are willing to go FIVE DAYS without cable TV?

That I can handle, but FIVE DAYS without Internet service will cause me to have some kind of a conniption fit and cripple Pat's business activities for the duration since she telecommutes from home.

Five days...

Boy oh boy, the gene pool available for doing cable installation must be infinitesimally small these days to need a five day window of time because the new house is already wired for cable and as far as I know all the guy with the tool belt has to do is show up and twist a couple of coax connectors together to get things rolling.

Five DAYS...

Here's what I'm going to do later today in an attempt to remedy this situation. I'm going to call Comcast and attempt to speak with a human in English, then I'm going to request that they establish an entirely new Cable/Internet account under my name at the new address and leave the old account active in our condo.

Then I'm going to require the rocket scientists customer nonservice department to activate the new account on the appropriate day while deactivating the old account at the same time.

Seems simple enough to me, how about you?

THEN, if they still insist on making us wait and endure a five day window without service, I'll be calling the Bellsouth DSL people and the Satellite TV people and telling Comcast to kiss my grits.

Is it just ME...or WHAT?

ok, Time to get dressed and head over to Lowes to buy more lumber now.

Y'all have a nice day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to call Comcast and attempt to speak with a human in English,

Good luck with that.  If you do go with DirecTv, you'll be happy to know that every time I call them, after entering my correct phone number, I am immediately connected to a human that speaks,  tada, English.