Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Don't Screw With My Books

The US Postal Service Strikes Again...


This year I've spent a good deal of money with Amazon.com rebuilding my Engineering reference library--something that I lost back in 2001 when the old house burned down.

The fire probably took close to 500 books with it. Fifty to seventy-five of them technical references from my days at Georgia Tech and working in the consulting business.

My most recent purchases were Schaum's Outlines Calculus and a book on Drywall installation to support my construction adventures.

About thirty bucks worth.

Any way, on Monday I got an e-mail saying that my order had been delivered at 1:30 PM.

Whattttt?

Hurrrraayyyyyyy!!!

I ran around outside looking by the front door and in the open garage...

Nothing.

Then I looked in the mailbox, but I was pretty sure that Amazon didn't roll up 9x12 books in tubes so my order wouldn't fit in there.

I was right.

It didn't, but still , it being the US Postal Service and all, and being a patient, reasonable sort of a guy, I figured that I would give it another day.

So I did. Actually two days, and as of noon today I still didn't have my books.

On a hunch, while out running errands, we drove by the old condo and guess what?

MY BOX OF $30 BOOKS WAS SITTING OUTSIDE BY MY OLD FRONT DOOR...a place that they had not delivered a single scrap of mail to in the past six weeks.

A place where all of the front porch plants and chairs had disappeared.

The place that had all of the curtains open and that you could clearly see there was no people living in and no furniture sitting in.

Yeah, THAT place.

Now I'm really worried because I have a couple of thousand dollars worth of checks floating around in the US Postal Systems "never never land", and I don't know who to call and complain to.

%#@*&! Government Services...

No comments: