Sunday, September 02, 2007

Monsoon Season On The Georgia Coast

Anybody Have A Human Sized Zip Lock Baggie?


Well, it started raining about 5 PM on Friday, and has only let up for a few hours at a time since then.

I worked my butt off from noon till about about 4 PM putting the finishing touches on the big pyramid sections, and then breaking them down to load into the equipment trailer. My heart was sinking as the sky's turned darker and darker

Kickoff was supposed to be at 7:30, but by then there was at least two inches of water standing over half of every grass and concrete surface in south Georgia.

The professional jock wannabe's "officials" that were in charge of the proceedings held off until it quit lightening, which was about 8:15, then the two football teams took the field while the band members sat in their buses and my pyramid lounged in its bungee corded position in the trailer.

Meanwhile I paced around from water puddle to water puddle in a throw away poncho wearing wet shoes and socks, and come halftime the band was on the field and my masterpiece was relegated to stay out of sight for the evening.

Dang it...the next three games are away games and I really don't want to start traveling with the team, but I also need to be there the first time to show the other volunteers how to handle the assembly and dis-assembly.

Meanwhile, the rest of the labor day weekend has thus far been cloudy and soggy--I bet we've had four or five inches of rain since Friday, and the pool and the beach has been out of the question.

The only good news thus far has been, confined indoors, that I've cooked some killer food, including a funky Portabello/Shitaki mushroom pesto pizza last night that ROCKED.

In fact, I think that it's time to go reheat some pizza slices for a leftover lunch...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talking about weather things, I know you keep up with this sorta thing. For at least a month, prior to Aug 27, I kept reading where Mars was gonna be at it's closest point to the earth until the year 2287 and would look as big as the moon in the sky. well I stayed up til 3 AM and the moon was full and bright and I never even say a twinkle that could be called Mars. And I never read any explanation for what happened to Mars that night. I guess it was in hiding. I think all the astronomists must have been incorrect. Do you know anything?

James said...

Look that up on Snopes.com That email is a big hoax.