Saturday, October 06, 2007

Doctor???...Oh Doctor???

Your Glove Is Still In My Ass...


Thank God...I thought that I was actually losing my touch these days, because I was having such a hard time working up a really good, insensitive rant about much of anything.

Then this story came along about some silly woman that has managed to impose herself on the Harvard medical school for four or five years and now continues to demand concessions from the medical licensing board.

Harvard mom wins appeals court victory
By DENISE LAVOIE,
Associated Press Writer Fri Oct 5, 2:44 PM ET

BOSTON - An appeals court cleared the way Friday for a Harvard student to receive extra break time during a lengthy medical licensing exam so she can pump breast milk for her infant daughter.

The state Appeals Court refused to overturn a decision issued by a single justice of the court last week allowing Sophie Currier, 33, an extra 60 minutes of break time.

Currier is scheduled to take the nine-hour exam over two days next week, but the National Board of Medical Examiners planned to appeal to the state Supreme Judicial Court, said the board's attorney, Joseph Savage Jr.

A justice of the Judicial Court declined to hear the case last week, saying the board had to first go to the appeals court.

Currier sued after the national board said she could have only the standard 45 minutes of break time.

...

Ignoring the need to pump could cause her significant pain, Katzmann said.

The licensing board appealed Katzmann's ruling to the full, three-judge panel of the appeals court. On Friday, the full court refused to overturn Katzmann's decision.

The court said it based its decision on whether Katzmann abused his discretion or made a clear error of law. The court said it found neither. It did not rule on the merits of the case.

...

Currier already has received special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act for dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, including permission to take the test over two days instead of one. The board also offered her a separate testing room where she can express milk during the test or during break time, and the option to leave the test center to breast-feed during break times.

Currier has finished a joint M.D.-Ph.D. program at Harvard University while having two babies in the past two years. She has been offered a residency in clinical pathology at Massachusetts General Hospital beginning in November but cannot accept it unless she passes the test. Her goal is a career in medical research.

She took the exam in April when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant, but failed by a few points.



OK people, I have to admit that after spending nine months eating ice cream and dill pickles, barfing my head off, and finally squirting a near eight pound screaming wild animal out of my groin, that I might be considered a little crazy, and then having to spend another twelve months with my little munchkin attaching itself to my chest every few hours during the day that the circumstances would probably drive me over the edge of sanity if I survived the birthing process, but still I have to ask...

WTF?

Here's a photo of the fragile, lactating doctor wanna-be Miss Currier sitting with defense exhibit "A" her lovely offspring.



I don't know about you, but to me Miss Sophie looks a little scary. There might be some manic depression roaming around behind those dark eyes, in addition to her admitted Attention Deficit Disorder and whatever other crap that the Americans' with Disabilities Act has allowed her to beat everybody over the head with so far.

(I think that if someone had had the foresight to apply some duct tape to her ankles, in order to keep her knees together, that a significant amount of legal hot air would have been avoided over the past few years...but then again..that's just one angry, insensitive white southern Redneck's opinion.)

I'm not sorry, but back in the day when I was trying to go to school, you did things based on accommodating your class schedule. I never had to resort to going to court in order to adjust my final exam schedule or to move around those pesky Chemistry lab sessions in order to accommodate my need to eat a Varsity chili cheese dog and some onion rings every two hours.

For instance, I couldn't take a job and commit to working from nine to five, five days a week, and at the same time sign up at Tech for an eleven o'clock AM thermodynamics class and then expect to go to court and demand that they let me attend a lecture at 6:30 PM three days a week.

The blankin' class was held at 11:30 AM on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and getting my girlfriend pregnant (I didn't), buying a house(I did), working two jobs, or whatever else I had going on in my life didn't excuse me from being there when the class was in session if I wanted the chance to earn the credit toward my college degree.

Also, there wasn't much of this stupid crap like ADD and AADD to use as an excuse to take a hand full of meds or involve the courts in my life. College back then involved ADDING and SUBTRACTING, and while we were at it we had to learn Calculus, then do things like INTEGRATING and DIFFERENTIATING (and our integrating didn't have a racial component as far as I know.)

So any way, this woman wants to get through medical school.

FINE, let her.

But she could do a few things to help, like not having not one, but two, babies in the process, and if she does choose to reproduce SHE might consider making a few concessions to the process.

I haven't had any kids of my own, but I have been around a few mother/infant relationships in my days and as far as I know no women have ever died from having to wait three or four hours between breast feeding sessions. Plus, there is the little detail that the baby could have one or two bottles of formula instead of sacred, USDA approved mother's milk for one nine hour period without the Department of Children's Services showing up and ripping the child out of the mother's custody.

Pulllleeeeaaaasssseeee...

Finally, with all of this woman's self admitted mental/physical disorders, I, personally, would have a real problem donning a paper gown and sitting on a cold paper covered stainless steel table and letting her anywhere near my body parts...thus the reason for this posting's title.

With her ADD, God forbid she leave anything behind, in my behind...

No comments: