Friday, October 05, 2007

New Computer Skills

I'm Learning Video Editing...


In the process of continuing my lifelong learning experience in Engineering, recently I've spend a good deal of time worrying about the phenomena generically called "Waterhammer."

For the general public's experience, waterhammer is that sound you sometimes hear in your house when your washing machine or toilet finishes filling with with water. Sometimes the shower valve and other water valves in the house will cause waterhammer, along with the radiators found in older homes.

Waterhammer in domestic water piping is generally nothing more than a nuisance sound, but waterhammer in industrial settings like large water and petroleum pipelines and hydroelectric Dam penstocks, and a different kind found in steam piping systems can cause catastrophic property damage, injury, and death.

What started out last night as a preliminary PowerPoint presentation using slides developed on AutoCAD and Photoshop, tonight evolved into a a video clip using Microsoft movie maker.

Here's the results of about six hours worth of work:




Pretty Boring...Huh? (I just realized that the small format makes it impossible to read.)

Any way, I still have a long way to go, but the editing process is becoming easier as I move along and I can see doing some funny videos of Missy the Turbo Pup when I have time to shoot some of her antics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your investigation. Here you're talking waterhammer,I was kinda thinking along the lines of steam line hammer causing your incident, which as you know is different from waterhammer. But now you are thinking waterhammer. It'll be interesting to see which you conclude was the problem. It's a little hard for me to think that in an installation of this size with no huge head pressure's being involved, that it might be waterhammer. But I could easily see how steam hammer could have done it. Keep us informed.