Friday, November 16, 2007

Eyes Glazed Over

Lethargy Setting In...


I hate to admit it, but I'm just too damn comfortable these days.

Imagine that?

I think that I would actually lapse into a self induced coma or stupor if it wasn't for the inane idiots and morons that I encounter in the process of trying to spend money doing the things I love to do.

First, I finally managed to get my butt up out of the bed and off of the sofa after lunch to open the box that FedEX delivered around 11 AM containing our new 22" HP Flat Screen monitor. (The new computer is still on the production line I guess.)

Next, I hooked it up to my notebook computer on the coffee table and found that everything worked seamlessly.

Then I lumbered back to Pat's office and lugged her giant thousand pound 19" CRT monitor and docking station out of the way into the guest bedroom, then hooked our new marvel up to her little Dell laptop.

After a half hour fooling around with the driver CD she was cooking with gas...in a computer sort of fashion. So far so good.

While rummaging through the festering pile of mail adjacent to my computer I realized that my property tax bills were due down at city hall in Brunswick on the 15th (that would be today--at the time), so I jumped online and reluctantly agreed to pay a 2.5% "convenience fee" in order to avoid making the 15 mile round trip over to the mainland.

Of course Capital One still has my primary credit card screwed up, even after giving them a couple of thousand dollars late last week to pay off the balance that had inched upward over the past month of tool and material purchases, so I had to resort to using a Debit Card for the online payment...something that's just asking for disaster in my opinion.

I'm ready to climb over the phone lines and strangle the next customer "non-service" idiot that tries to act like I shouldn't be angry when my purchases are declined and I have to spend a half hour talking to some dang foreigner about my intimate personal financial data when the problem apparently lies with THEIR COMPUTER SOFTWARE, not my shortcomings.

I ended up a basically useless day by defrosting some of my patented chicken and black bean chili that I cooked up and froze last month, serving it with a little pone of my Killer Cornbread for Two, then vegetated on the sofa watching the CNN Democratic Presidential Candidate Debate out in Las Vegas.

I actually managed to stay awake through the entire two plus hours of mindless pandering and droning on about raising the cap on social security, pulling the troops out of Iraq, and not attacking Iran.

I think that they actually managed to not talk about Global Warming, but they did a good deal of stammering and yammering about "energy independence" and "universal healthcare" and, to me, after the first ten minutes, it looked like a pre-planned Hillary/Obama/Edwards kiss and make up lovefest.

I sincerely hope a good deal of the population is paying attention to details beyond the kind of crap delivered in these debates for both the Democrats and the Republicans over the next few months.

If not, we're all in big trouble for the next four if not eight years here in the good old US of A.

No comments: