Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm On A Spending Spree

Somebody Stop Me...


Hurray, after months of delay and procrastination, I'm gearing up to get the residential construction project back on track over in Brunswick.

I've spent the past few months distracted with the new house and Pat's pending change in employment status, plus some design and renovation scope changes had me paralysed with indecision, but I've broken out of my funk and today placed the order for the nine new custom built windows.

I hate having to spend the money to buy custom windows on a lower end residential project like this, but the option would be to burn up another saw cutting concrete block openings to size to fit the stuff they sell at Lowes and Home Depot and I just don't have the energy to hang onto the saw for that long.

I can't imagine why in the world they don't make windows that fit standard increments of 8" and 16" that cinder blocks produce when building a wall, but they apparently don't--at least that I can find locally or on the Internet.

Next on the punch list is a new 200 Amp electrical service entrance and breaker panel and about a million dollars a thousand dollars worth of copper wiring
and accessories to power the new heat pump, outlets, and lighting fixtures. Back in 1959 when this place was first constructed they got away with putting one duplex outlet per room, but today you have to have them every twelve feet along the walls so I've got some creative wiring to do in the process.

Then there's the new 4" sanitary sewer connection (yuck)and 1" plastic water supply line that has to be dug into the tree root filled dirt in the front yard. I get tired thinking about that process.

Time to head back over to Brunswick to pay for my windows and get some other material moving now. All in all the process will be more fun than buying a computer I hope.

No comments: