Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Random Ramblings

Physically Focused But Mentally Distracted...


Oh...let's see...what's going on in Knoxtown and the balance of the world this morning?

For one thing, I was pleased to see Tiger Woods win the US Open in the playoff round in spite of his aching knee.

What a class act Mr. Woods is. Pat pointed out that you never see his wife half naked in public or drunkenly crashing her SUV into the media's cars and his kid stays out of sight instead of holding him out in front of cameras over the railing of his motel balcony.

Don't look for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to embrace his lifestyle and success any time soon. Come to think of it, Tiger has probably told them to stay in Chicago and Harlem and leave him out of their public race demagoguery.

Meanwhile, in the cooking department, I've slaughtered a bunch of yeast since Sunday.

First there was my introductory effort at taking my Pizza Dough Recipe and making Calzones--all in all a success except half-pizza sized Calzones contain more bread that one might want on one's plate at one time. Sunday night's Calzones contained baby spinach, diced pepperoni, Italian sausage, Mozzarella, and crumbled Feta Cheese.

Then there was the batch of Pizza dough produced for Saturday night that didn't get cooked. After spending a couple of evenings in the fridge (I made fresh dough for Sunday's Calzones) I rolled it out into an elongated oval early Monday morning, coated it lightly with olive oil on top, then sprinkled it with dried Tarragon, Oregano, roasted garlic, sea salt, and red pepper flakes before tossing it into a 450degree oven for twenty minutes.

When I opened the oven door, instead of Pizza, I had a loaf of fresh Focaccia Bread...go figure.

Almost half of it was gone before I left for work...yum...so my co-workers will just have to wait until next time I guess.

Finally, last night I reached into the Deep Freezer and extracted four giant Sea Scallops and a half dozen Snow Crab clusters. The clusters were simply steamed in one of my giant pots on the stove top, but the Sea Scallops had a little more work to do before they reached the dinner plate.

I pre-cooked some bacon slices so they were done but still flexible, then wrapped the Scallops with them and seared the packages under the broiler for three minutes on each side.

Meanwhile I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in the bacon grease and put together an Olive Tapenade (kalamata olives, sliced black olives, olive oil, lemon juice, capers, fresh Italian Parsley, oregano, fresh black pepper.)

Once the Scallops were hot and seared, I tossed them on a warm plate, spooned the sauteed mushrooms over them, piled on some Tapenade, diced tomatoes, and feta cheese cubes to finish.

Here...take a look...



Then the Scallops joined their crab cousins on the dinner table and major chowing down ensued.

Don't you wish that you were at my house for dinner last night?

No comments: