Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Taking An Evening "Off"

Or Is It Having An "Off" Evening?


I'm happy sorry to report that yesterday I didn't work on doors for the first time since Saturday evening.

Don't tell anyone...let's just keep it our little secret.

I wasn't totally useless however...basking in the glow of recent thermodynamic calculation successes during the daytime and working on the design of the set for the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association's fall production of Lillian Herman's 1939 classic play The Little Foxes in Brunswick's Ritz Theater.

While we're speaking of "sets", I also designed a couple of sets of steel lifting lugs for the Mississippi Smokestack project earlier this morning, but I won't risk boring you with the details.

The funny thing is that six years ago I hadn't set foot in a playhouse theater more than a half dozen times in my life, and now this fall's production represents my ninth design/build set construction effort since 2003.

That means that nearly forty thousand people have paid to see things which I built for Actors and Actresses to stand on and wander around in front of.

It blows my mind when I think about it...

It's actually pretty easy when you know how to build things like I do and you have competent theatrical support from people like Rob and Heather at the theater to back you up and help make things happen.

I'm sorry that this show will probably be my last at the Ritz due to the logistical issues of being eight hours away and working full time again. We plan on making our first visit back to our little Island in early September in order to complete the construction effort as I pass off the responsibility to one of my contractor friends there on St. Simons Island.

Why is it that the crappy stuff seems to keep coming at you and the fun stuff keeps going away in life?

No comments: