Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Before Photos

Not Bad After 23 Years Of Sub-Tropical Weather...


Here's a look at this week's rebuild/renovation project down here in Lower Alabama, the 3' wide x 75' long dock leading out across "Lake Lee" (named for my Mother's Mother) to a 20' six sided Gazebo.




And here's a close up of the Gazebo my Father built back around 1986/1987 while he was "retired" from his day job as an Electronic Engineer:



Based on my experience today prying up warped and rotten/unsafe lumber suffering from exposure from the elements, I say that no one building a project of this scope and difficulty (that would be my dear deceased Father) could ever have been considered to be "retired."

Today I had to "retire" during Phase One of my efforts after only about 4 hours, and if I get another 4 hours of time in Wednesday I'll be impressed, but probably not finished with the current scope of work...and I'm just doing a partial replacement of about a third--the current unsafe portion--of the pressure treated decking and all of the top handrail lumber members.

The idea is to make things safe over the next year or so as I come back down and continue the rennovation process every four to six months as an onging project.

Any way, somebody send up a flare and call 911 if you don't hear from me in the next 24 hours...

1 comment:

HEATHER said...

Even in its current state, that is so gorgeous! I love the idyllic setting! Good luck and keep hydrated! ;-)