Saturday, May 14, 2011

Industrial Vendor Induced Insanity ( I V I squared )

The Hungarians And The French Don't Like Americans Me?


So this morning finds me sitting in front of the old HP Laptop Computer worrying about a bunch of crap which I've managed to get all wired together and mounted on and in and around things hanging on walls and pipes and tanks here in an "Industrial Facility" in South Carolina.

I hate to admit that after the past week's experiences doing this "PLC Control System Start-Up" I'm starting to feel a little loopy and desperate, so if you look out your window into your yard this morning and you live anywhere near Simpsonville, South Carolina you might find me standing on a step ladder hooking wires up to your bug zapper or bird feeder or gas grill trying to get a signal...ANY SIGNAL...I can understand with my Equipment.

OK...

Maybe not...

But I digress...

It turns out that nearly half of the stuff I'm trying to use was "made and assembled" by "Yours Truly" here in the By-God good old United States of 'Merica at the Turbo Pup Compound on the banks of the Mighty Tennessee River...

And the other half?

Interestingly enough...

...the other half of that half was made in Hungary.

But then just recently I just found out that another quarter of my monstrosity was actually produced in FRANCE and sold to me by another 'Merican company I've been dealing with for a couple of years now.

Don't get me wrong here, Ladies and Gentlemen, because in spite of past rants and ramblings on this blog, I don't really give a a crap where you live and work--country, county, city, or state--as long as the product you sell me performs as advertised and you provide me with what is generally known in the engineering/construction business parlance as "cut sheets" or "documentation"

The average citizen not torturing themselves practicing the profession I lovingly call "Injuneering"  would ask for an "Owners Manual."

Most likely written in English if you live in Alabama or Georgia or South Carolina or Tennessee.

 (...and not translated into English from Swalhili by a multi-lingual third grader...UNDER DURESS...)

Problem for me is-best intentions aside--the Hungarians and French are forced because of their position on the GLOBE to operate on a schedule either 5 or 6 hours ahead of the "Eastern Time Zone" within which I reside and am currently conducting this debacle site installation exercise this past week.

Thus if I don't ask any questions I may have about the aforementioned foreign produced products...each day...by 10 or 11 AM EST...

There's a pretty darn good chance that I won't hear anything in the way of an answer (intelligible or unintelligible as the case may be) until the next morning/day.

And since YESTERDAY was FRIDAY THE 13TH???

I find myself sitting here this morning asking a couple of what will probably turn out to be some really stupid questions...

...which will probably warrant equally STUPID answers...

But now I'm DELAYED UNTIL MONDAY MORNING.

Dammit...

Fortunately Pat and Missy the Turbo Pup and I are safely sequestered here at my old college roommate's Condo (A.K.A. the "Prince Hotel") for the balance of the weekend while I recover from a week spent standing 5 to 7 hours each day in the noise and heat of a chemical plant.

And I'm sure that you'll excuse the light posting of late and my continuing mental malaise as I forge forward at a rate half of the speed of light SMELL.

And until then...

Regards Y'all...

No comments: