Saturday, December 10, 2011

Losing My Religion

"Missing My Grocery Stores"


Does anybody but people living in Oklahoma know what the store with the name "Reasors" hanging on the front canopy sells?

OK...I'll end the suspense and tell you that out here in the Midwest they are the best dang Grocery store in the state...

but still...

While living in the "Atlanta Metropolitan Area" I was pretty much a Kroger man...with the occasional visit to Winn Dixie when I was looking for Beef or even Publix when the straits were dire.

Then on St. Simons Island, GA we continued our subsistence on Winn Dixie Beef (Winn Dixie being based less than 100 miles south out of Jacksonville, Florida) and the chain Harris Teeter which catered to the upper crust consumers driving past our Condo and house going out to Sea Island.

In retrospect, I went to Harris Teeter almost every day when I was spending most of my time lounging around sitting by the pool...

Since those glorious semi-unemployed days and now before moving across country, while in Knoxtown we again became firm Kroger consumers with three "regular" Kroger stores within five miles and one "Super Kroger" (with a second under construction as I write) within a similar distance from my back door.

But now today our grocery needs are met by Reasor's with their weird Isle layout with everything running perpendicular to the front door rather than parallel to the sides of the store.

Seriously, I feel like I'm in a drunken stupor just walking into their store layout looking for a half gallon of Orange Juice and some Hunt's "Petite Diced" Tomatoes.

Ok...this dissertation is getting a little obtuse even for me...but you get my drift.

When you regularly cook like I do and when you walk into your grocery store you are not "shopping" i.e. wandering aimlessly down each and EVERY FREAKING isle looking for corn starch or capers...

Most of the time I come into my local grocery store...a which I expect and demand to be a veritable purveyor of gastronomic ecstasy...and conduct the next 15.375 minutes like I'm a Navy Seal.

Strike...

Take Prisoners...

Get Out...

You know?

Feel free to consider the above admissions and contemplations and get back with me if you feel I'm in error.

Otherwise...That will be all...for now...

1 comment:

Ed Drew said...

I thought you said you were going over to Knoxville this weekend?