Saturday, November 06, 2004

Michael Tells Us Mo(o)re Than We Need To Know

I try to limit my personal attacks on individuals, public or otherwise, to those whom I have a good deal of high quality, well documented information about. Other than the occasional emotional outburst, given time to compose myself, I have adhered to this policy in my writing. I don’t care “what I’ve heard” or “what other’s say” about you, I generally wait until I have some direct contact or experience before I form my final opinion.

Public officials and celebrities, both real and self-proclaimed, are an exception, since I don’t spend much time in Hollywood or roaming the storied halls of the government buildings in Washington DC.

The best form of information available on a person is usually obtained by either hearing them speak in person or by reading something written by them. The old axiom, “do as I say, not as I do” is exceeded by “read what I write and forget what I say. Until the last 100 years or so, the spoken word tended to evaporate into the infinite ether of the universe while the written word has been destined to survive through the ages.

Having said all of that, I come to the subject of Michael Moore. I haven’t seen any of Mr. Moore’s films. I have seen a little too much of Mike’s unshaven, slovenly looking, fairly rotund persona as he has sauntered around the Democratic campaign for the office of President of the United States of America.

Other than a few appearances in a rented tuxedo, the guys’ closet must contain a wardrobe consisting of 500 pairs of sneakers, dozens of brown leather and denim jackets, mountains of baggy, faded blue jeans, complemented by an assortment of baseball caps adorned with the sports team “logo de jour.”

I congratulate Mr. Moore in his success in parlaying his image and position into a fairly nice living, but I have wondered about his motives and intellectual ability on a core basis. Beyond riding the wave of liberal outrage, what does he know, what does he think, and what can he really do in life besides stir up controversy?

Well, we can all stop wondering. After three days of silence, Senior Moore, the rocket scientist, has come out of hiding to post his latest thesis about the results of the election, 17 Reasons Not to Slit Your Wrists.

I usually do a bunch of background research in order to support my posts, but I refuse to waste my time reading any more about this obvious genius. I am fairly certain that he is in his mid- thirties, but his writing must be aimed at teens and early twenty-somethings and it reads like it was written by a high school sophomore.

I have a suggestion for Mr. Moore…Grow up and get a life!!
(God knows you have the cash to pay for it…)

No comments: