Wednesday, November 03, 2004

You Reap What You Sew

I have an acquaintance, Charles, who used to be a next-door neighbor at my first house I purchased back in the mid 1980’s. Charles was attending law school at night at the time and was working all day to support his wife and young son. He looked like a nice fellow on paper, based on the information he presented to us about his self.

Charles and I lost contact with each other after a few years when his family moved to a new home a few miles away. The distance between us wasn’t the reason for the alienation, however. It was, rather (but not Dan Rather,) his treatment of my ex-wife and I after his departure. You see, he stiffed us of the $1000 finders fee he promised to pay anyone that could bring him a buyer for the house he owned next door. We did find him a buyer the very next day, one of my ex’s co-workers, and he didn’t pay us the finder’s fee. Not a word, not an apology, not even drinks or a dinner out. We let him get away with it gracefully

Fast forward to 2003-2004 and I learn that my old friend Charles has not only graduated from law school and been admitted to the State Bar of Georgia, but Charles has been elected to be Chief Magistrate Judge of Cherokee County, Georgia. Hurray for Charles!

As the title to this post says, there is a certain truth to the Biblical saying “you reap what you sew.” You see, Charles had had a few problems in his past that recently came to the surface. Some really bad problems in his past. I think they refer to his problems as issues dealing with "moral turpitude."

It seems that Charles name wasn’t originally Charles—he changed it—and his past convictions for theft of government property, possession of methamphetamine, and his resulting dishonorable discharge from the US Army in the late 1970’s was a problem as to his suitability to be an elected judge. He failed to reveal these little "hicups" when he made application for election to the judiciary.

The revelations of these indiscressions by a political foe recently caused the Georgia Supreme Court to recall him from the Magistrate’s bench. Adding to his humiliation, the local press was all over the events, in real time, as they occurred, which is how I found out about his troubles long distance, through the Internet. I think they are after his law license now. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy…

Which brings me to my current concern—Senator John F. Kerry’s war record. He beat us to death with self aggrandizing war stories for six months of the campaign while the press was breaking their collective necks looking the other way (for 30 years, for that matter.) The Swift Vets were partisan liars, Kerry was a War Hero.

I suggest that if Kerry wants to continue to represent Massachusetts as a US Senator, it is time for him to sign form 180 and let the nation see his true war records, not just “all of the records that the Navy has sent to me” as he has said in his web site.

I’m not going to dignify the rumors that I have heard with validity by repeating them here. They are still simply rumors, but I will point out that they are spreading on the internet if you wish to see them. IF they are true, Masseur Kerry needs to not only not be president, he needs to resign his position as Senator and "move-on.org" back to France.

Can you say recall vote???

No comments: