Friday, April 07, 2006

If You Don’t Stand For Something

You’ll Fall For Anything…


I am relieved and proud to admit that I believe that I was entirely wrong about the display situation and my standing down at the Glynn County Arts Coastal National Exhibit, and in the interest of fairness I confess my error and beg my audience’s pardon.

In reality I should have been flattered to have my work displayed in the room, and once I had a chance to study the work of my fellow artists last evening at the opening reception, I realized that my little tiny pen and ink presentation paled in comparison to the paintings that won recognition in the event.

The only mistake made, besides my own determination of mal intent, was in allowing my drawings into the event in the first place.

They call it a mixed media event, but it is really a show for paintings.

Acrylics, oil, and a few water colors, but no sculpture and only one charcoal drawing were present, along with my pen and inks. My drawings stood out like a sore thumb, and by the way…no one mentioned spending $200 on frames for $500 artwork.

What’s up with that?

Of the three offending parties I previously identified as suspects, only one was present and she was preoccupied with the mass of patrons that were ambling around the room in an unsupervised manner.

I’m noticing a trend in the “arts events” where a bumbling herd of people show up and the “powers what be” stand around on the sidelines watching the said herd ravage the snack table and spill wine on the carpets.

I would prefer a slightly more organized event, but since I’m not in charge, we stayed long enough to hear the awards announced and snag a couple of glasses of wine and a few finger sandwiches, then we were out the door.

Now I’ve got to figure out how to get myself to southern Ohio for Grandma’s funeral on Monday morning.

Delta wants nearly $2000 to fly there from Atlanta on Sunday. They can’t be serious, can they?

No comments: