Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Weather Is Here

Wish You Were Beautiful…


We’re back from Florida this evening, having made another trip to the hospital to visit my Grandmother.

The good news is that she is still with us half the time, but the other half of the time she’s sorta out of it. She’s decided to start eating a little again and she’s still drinking water and milk, but God knows where this is all going because the balance of her medical treatments have ceased.

She actually wanted to go home to her suite at my Uncle’s house today, and she even sat up in a chair for a little while—the first time she’s been out of bed in three weeks—but the official line is that she’s in the care of the Hospice personnel until the very end of her life.

It seems to me that she’s actually improving a little, but then I’m just a stupid engineer, not a doctor.

It’s very frustrating, and I don’t know what else I can do except visit and lend support to the medical decision makers. I think that if it were up to me I would have moved her to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville by now in order to see if some higher powered brains could make any difference in her prognosis, but it’s not my call to make.

It’s tough to sit by and just watch her flounder around.

As a result of our trip, we missed two days of killer swimming pool weather and the Blessing of the Shrimp Boat Fleet up in Darien this weekend. Lots of good photo ops could have been had.

Oh well…

I’ve got renewed energy when it comes to my drawing efforts, and a new pad containing 24 sheets of Strathmore Acid Free 14”x17” drawing paper to cover with ink. I think that I’m going to take a shot at doing some water color washes on parts of a few drawings in order to add come color to my work.

The Coastal National Exhibit opens this Thursday evening at the Glynn County Arts Association Gallery down in the Village, and Pat and I are taking our neighbor Bucky (Dartmouth class of 1942) along with us to the artist’s opening reception.

I’m afraid that there are at least two or three little ladies down there that are not going to be too happy to see me represented in their little cotillion mutual admiration association art exhibit because I’ve already crossed swords with them while working with the Island Players Theater company.

I’m going to love every minute of it, because one of these lovely ladies has already told be to not expect to be displaying any art on this island (because of the quality of the competition) until I had spent several years honing my skills like she had. After all, she had majored in art in college (at the Eastern Lower Southern Georgia Community College or the Coastal Shrimping and Cosmetology Institute or some similar damn place) sometime in the last 100 30 years.

Gosh do I ever love having the opportunity to make people that have an ax to grind with me uncomfortable by going over their heads in a public venue.

This is going to be so much fun…

No comments: