Friday, April 28, 2006

Simple Pleasures

I Can Smell The Ocean From Here

I just walked outside for a few minutes to see what was going on in the world, and with the light wind blowing out of the northeast this morning I could actually smell the ocean.

I just love that about living here on our little island.

The Atlantic shoreline is a mile or so across the salt marsh and Sea Island from here at our home's location, but I swear that I can hear the waves crashing on nights when the surf is beat up with passing tropical storms in the summer.

Ever since I was a kid I've always been drawn to the ocean, and as an adult I've probably spent too much of my income traveling to and from and sitting on the beach.

I grew up about 100 miles north of Panama City Beach, Florida and enjoyed the Gulf Coast long before Girls Gone Wild all of America and the rest of the world discovered "The Redneck Riviera."

My parents bought a motor home back in 1972 and I was fortunate enought to enjoy staying weekends and weeks in the summer in campsites situated right in the dunes adjacent to the beach at Ft. Walton and Gulf Shores back before the thirty-story high rise condos destroyed the ambiance.

You haven't lived until you wake up in the morning and find the rising ocean tide lapping at your picnic table (and rear tires of the RV--thereby making your mother crazy.) Visits to the beach in the spring and fall always produced opportunities to wander solo (or with little sister in tow) over miles of deserted beaches picking up sea shells or flying kites and tossing model airplanes into the air.

Although Brunswick's adjacent shipping channel causes our grey sanded Atlantic beaches to be highly inferior to the sugar white sands of my youth in Florida, I am still highly comforted by the knowledge that within ten minutes of right now I could be standing with my toes in the surf, awaiting the sun to pop over the eastern horizion.

In fact, I feel an East Beach photo opportunity in the making--let me get my camera.

Look for the results to be posted about 7:30 AM this morning.

No comments: